Sonar/GPS fuse

kaliona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm installing a new Lowrance HDS-5 sonar/gps unit. The inline fuse it comes with is a blade type fuse with an "E" stamped on it. What size fuse is this? I've never seen one of these. How many amps in case I need to replace it? The specs in the owners manual doesn't say what size fuse to use.

mark mcj

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Sonar/GPS fuse

The "E" is a "3".
A nice feature of the ATC fuse (i.e. Blade fuses) is you can match the colors. this will usually help.
The 3 amp ATC fuse is violet.

kaliona

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll have to go check what color it is to see if it follows the color standard. In any case, if it's a 3 amp fuse, why wouldn't a "3" be stamped on it, instead of an "E"? Doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

CR CRUISER

Seaman

It's sort of the same thing as why they emboss 7I0 on the cap where you add oil to the engine. :D

kaliona

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a pic of why I was confused. Thanks mcj for bringing up the color code ratings. Violet is 3 amps, pink is supposed to be 4 amps. Maybe I'm color blind too, but the one on the right looks pink to me.

So I admit to being confused, color blind, and maybe a little slow, but if I want to be called stupid, BeufortT and Cruiser, I'll just go visit my ex.
I come to these boards like everyone else just for some help and info...that's all.

Attachments

• Img_4358_sm.jpg
    Img_4358_sm.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 0

jhebert

Ensign

It's sort of the same thing as why they emboss 7I0 on the cap where you add oil to the engine. :D

This is one of the best replies I have read on the internet, and I have been reading replies on the internet since 1994, or about 15 years. The humor and ridicule--always an important part of internet replies--is priceless.

And it comes from Campbell River, BC, a great town that I have visited in my own boat. A tip of the hat to our man in Campbell River!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 3E.jpg
    3E.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 0

mark mcj

Seaman Apprentice

I've been in the automotive 12 volt electronics field for 20 years, is seems the manufactures are always trying to save money whereever they can.
The manufacture of the fuse you have most likely saved a couple of cents buying "E" stamps for the rating and figured no one would notice. It could just be a font issue too, depending on which part of the planet sourced the cheapest work force.
Then you have the cost of colored plastic to make the body of the fuse and the tech mixing the pigments.
Somewhere in your user manual there should be an input voltage listed for the device. this should clear up any questions you might have.

Have fun with the new electronics, nothing like getting new stuff, especially when its something you can look at all the time and push a lot of buttons on.:)