Solo Waterskiing

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wow, I saw this in Time magazine (coming to a lake near you) the water skier is driving the unmanned boat.... <br />
action6.jpg
<br /><br /> http://www.solowatersports.com <br /><br />I would hope the boat engine cuts out if the skier falls off :eek: <br /><br />Has anyone here seen one of these yet ?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Solo Waterskiing

Originally posted by 62_Kiwi:<br />I would hope the boat engine cuts out if the skier falls off :eek:
The kill switch is built right into the handle. When you drop the handle, the engine shuts down fast and brings your SOLO to a quick stop. An automatic "downed-skier" flag pops up when the skier falls and quickly retracts when the engine is re-started.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Gee, and some people say that talking on a cell phone while driving a car isn't safe ? This has to be one of the dumbest idea's I have seen in quite some time.

Link

Rear Admiral

That was a big thing down here in the late 80's or early 90's.. kind of faded out tough. Not sure why. But had us boat salesman a wee bit worried. (back then) <br /> :) :)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I don't think it's legal here. I remember seeing that advertised several years ago. But generally a competent watcher is required. Never saw one on the water. What happens if you fall and are injured?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Definetly not legal downunder, must have driver & observer. Even jetskis have to be three seaters to tow a skier.<br /><br />How does it steer?<br /><br />Aldo

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dunaruna, the handles have speed and directional controls. There's a built-in kill switch when the skier drops the handles.<br />As far as being legal, I don't know... I leave that for the high-priced attorneys.<br />Still, it looks like fun to me.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> I don't think it's legal here. I remember seeing that advertised several years ago. But generally a competent watcher is required. Never saw one on the water. What happens if you fall and are injured?
It isn't legal in Florida,Will. There was some dood who rigged his jetski to do that. The CG cited him. I don't know if he appealed it, fought it, or what, but they won't let him use it for sure.<br />We have to have "one dedicated pilot, and at least one dedicated observer" onboard when someone is skiing.<br />It is pretty neat tho.

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G,Day. It could probably be argued in court that it is a PWC the same as one of those stand up Kawasaki Jet skis. What is the differance.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I used something similar, except it was like a surfboard with a hand held throttle. Used a small motor and a jet ski like propulsion.<br /><br />This was about 18 years ago.<br /><br />It was a blast!!!!<br /><br />AK Chappy

sangerwaker

Commander

Those things would be nice for the days you couldn't get anyone else to go out with you, providing of course it was legal. I've seen these before, but never used one.<br /><br />They would probably be fine for a recreational skier or a beginner of another discipline. No wake to jump for the kneeboarders or wakeboarders, and not enough power for a skilled slalom skier. They would be OK for endurance barefoot training, but as far as barefooting goes, I think that would be their only use.<br /><br />BTW, AK Chappy, I've used those power surfboards, too! It was about 15 years ago and they were a blast!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

No wake for me kneeboard.... :eek: CRIPE! What a goofy, worthless, waste....<br /><br />Snapper needs a wake.. <br />
oebd5
Preferably a BIGGUN!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Next thing we will see is a skateboarder behind an unmanned moped. Of course this is Indiana where driving without a car is possible. :D