Solas Amita3

walleyehed

Admiral
Just wanted to drop a note That I have been running some aluminum Props in newer designs and I've got 1 that stands out that I want to give a heads-up on.
Most of ya that know me are used to seeing SS props being tested but so many new designs are showing up in alum., I had to try a few.

The prop I want to tell about is the Solas Amita3. The blade area of this prop was deceiving in that it appears to be made for heavy load applications. It does carry a load well but it bites better than expected, has great Top-end yet still has good hole-shot.
The Amita3 that is being sold now is NOT the same as the original production....these newer ones are better built and have several features built in that impressed me. One item was how the cup is made-very clean cup lines for alum.
I ran a 13-1/4X17P on an E-TEC 115 to start with. I then ran 3 Merc designs, 2 MWC designs and a Propco. I did not run a Turning point alum. in this but I do have experience with the TP on larger Gearcases.
For what it's worth, the Amita3 outperformed everything else I ran by a considerable margin. Lowest slip-ratio, highest top speed, highest running height without venting and best 0-20mph time.
I'm really impressed with the capabilities of this prop-probably the best performing aluminum I've ever ran.
The price on this prop is a true STEAL for it's capabilities.
Don't plan on sticking this unless I see a lot of feed back, then I may include it in my prop testing pinned at the top.
Thanks all and thank you Solas for a great design!

Walleyehed
aka, Kenny

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Solas Amita3

Is the only difference between the Amita 3 and the Rubex 3 the hub design? Is the prop itself essentially the same between the two? I've been very impressed with the performance of my Rubex 3.

walleyehed

Admiral

I cannot confirm that at this time but I believe that is the case. the Rubex just requires a hub for all apps in that blade design/gearcase size.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Thank you very much for the review of the 3 blade amita. I've often wondered how they would perform.

I currently run a 4 blade 13p amita for watersports and a 4 blade 15p stainless HR Titan for general use.

Any chance you could compare the 4 blade amita aluminium to the 3 blade? That prop is often recomended here and I'm certain many would be interested in the 3-blade vs 4-blade in this prop.

Cheers.

walleyehed

Admiral

yeah, I can do that...
It'll be about 2 weeks before I'm back home to do so and it'll be on my 18ft deep-V w/V-6 power....I've got an Amita3 to fit the 200 so all I need is a 4-bld.

eric e

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am getting ready to order a prop for my 77 evinrude 35 hp. 11x9 I was debating between the amita 3 and the michigan match 3 blade. Do you think the amita would be better, or at least the same? It is cheaper... Thanks..

walleyehed

Admiral

I would have to say you'll get at the least, the same performance, but from what I see in the larger sizes the Solas is going to give the best performance. Keep in mind I have not "tested" this size class but if they are using as much quality/design in the smaller props as they are utilizing in their bigger brothers, I believe the Solas to be a good bet.

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah, I can do that...
It'll be about 2 weeks before I'm back home to do so and it'll be on my 18ft deep-V w/V-6 power....I've got an Amita3 to fit the 200 so all I need is a 4-bld.

Another vote for an Amita 3 and 4 blade comparison. I kind of want a 4 blade for cruising, don't care about hole shot AT ALL. But if that 3 blade comes really close in performance I'd rather go with it.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Can we assume the Amita3 that we see today is this improved version?
Is there a way to identify the newer amita3 from the earlier version?

walleyehed

Admiral

steelespike, the newest version has a very difinite "cup-line"...not a crease but a very small radius "bend". Not sure how they do this but it's obviously molded and not rolled as some are. one of the earlier versions I have is rolled. It's just very obvious if you see the 2 side by side.

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With this new "cup line" do you think that will cause any difficulties should the prop need to be repaired?

Wayne

walleyehed

Admiral

I think it will be repairable with the same pitch blocks as all blades should be worked. I don't think it will be much different as long as all 3 are kept consistant.

wisebob

Seaman

steelespike, the newest version has a very difinite "cup-line"...not a crease but a very small radius "bend". Not sure how they do this but it's obviously molded and not rolled as some are. one of the earlier versions I have is rolled. It's just very obvious if you see the 2 side by side.

I just received the Rubex version of Amita 3 13.25 x 17 from iboats.com and it seems to be this "new" design of the prop as I do notice the "cup-line" bend near the tips. Just put it on and can't wait to try it tomorrow.

I had an Amita 4 13x15 4-blader earlier in the year and wasn't too impressed with that prop. It didn't have the cup-line of this Amita 3 so I am keeping my hopes up that this new Amita 3 will be much better.

bob

dozerII

Admiral

Great info Kenny, I am running one of these on my 72 starcraft 18 120 mercruiser. I really like the way it seems to grip the water. They have a very long rake and need an offset trim anode. I am running a 15.3/10 x 21 at 33mph gps at 3600rpm what would you suggest for a pitch to bring the rpms up a little 17 or 19?
Thanks again
Glen

wisebob

Seaman

Just wanted to post an update that I tried the Amita 3 on my boat and love it. It gave me better fuel economy than my previous 4-blade prop while still providing an equivalent low planing speed. It is definitely a keeper prop.

bob