Soft floor around Ski Locker 1994 Sea Ray 200 BR

sixshoeter

Cadet
OK - so I've been really lucky so far and haven't had any big problems with my structure - until now. The support wood that helps hold the ski locker in place has fallen out - leading me to see some rotten wood right around the locker. The other wood seems fine. It's not clear to me how the supports were actually being held in place. Any thoughts?

One other thing - If I wanted to replace my seats - I'm also not sure how to gain access to the bottom of the deck to manage the bolts. Do I have to do wholesale destruction, or is there an easy way to gain access to the space under the seats?

Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Soft floor around Ski Locker 1994 Sea Ray 200 BR

Welcome to iBoats!

Pics will really help us to help you. My signature line has a link on how to post em.

sixshoeter

Cadet

Here are some pics -

These shots are looking towards the drivers area - with a view of the ski locker. I pulled back the carpet there. It appears there is a thin layer of glass on top of a wood structure.
P1010101b.jpgP1010093b.jpgP1010080b.jpgP1010094b.jpg

The support wood that helps hold the ski locker in place has fallen out - leading me to see some rotten wood right around the locker. The other wood seems fine. It's not clear to me how the supports were actually being held in place. Any thoughts?

One other thing - If I wanted to replace my seats - I'm also not sure how to gain access to the bottom of the deck to manage the bolts. Do I have to do wholesale destruction, or is there an easy way to gain access to the space under the seats?
Here is a pic of the support currently in place for the box/slider seats.

P1010074b.jpg

Friscoboater

Captain

Ohhh boy. You need to look at my Sea Ray thread. I am beginning to thing that all of these Sea rays rot like this. I have a 1995 220 BR and I have just replaced the stringers and the deck. It looks alot like yours.

sixshoeter

Cadet

As far as I know, the rot is limited to just a few inches around the ski locker. I haven't noticed any other areas. Suggestions for knowing without pulling everything up?

So here's another question - "if" I am right and I just have to deal with around the ski locker - I still want to replace all of the carpet on the floor (I'm OK with the sides remaining). This is all new to me, so can the carpet be replaced without bringing up the floor? It looks like the carpet is all wrapped around the floor on the edges, so I'm not sure how to replace it if it stays down.

Thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

so can the carpet be replaced without bringing up the floor? It looks like the carpet is all wrapped around the floor on the edges, so I'm not sure how to replace it if it stays down.

Sure. You can just cut it around the edges and pull it out. For some additional mechanical fastening of the new stuff you could use some aluminum flat stock or angle screwed down. Lowes/HD have a decent assortment. I've got a little of both on mine helping to hold the vinyl down and transition between materials. http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2503.jpg

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ohhh boy. You need to look at my Sea Ray thread. I am beginning to thing that all of these Sea rays rot like this. I have a 1995 220 BR and I have just replaced the stringers and the deck. It looks alot like yours.

I would also recommend looking at Jay's thread. He has tons of great information in his restoration. Heck, you can look at my restoration thread also. I have a '93 Sea Ray 200 BR that I am restoring and these boat are pretty much doomed from the day they leave the factory. They are designed to rot. Sea Ray has very pure work quality under the deck. None of the wood is sealed and it is pretty much thrown together with a chopper gun. Once water gets on the outside of the stringers, it has no way out. Take a look at all of the screws that are in the deck and transom. These are all places for water to get under the deck and into the transom. Hopefully yours is in better shape than ours (mine and friscoboaters) but from the history of these boats, I would try and access the stringers to take a look at them. Good luck, Steven

sixshoeter

Cadet

OK - I'm all fixed up around my ski locker. I was lucky this time - perhaps living in the dry climate of Arizona has helped, but the rot was limited to a few inches around the ski locker. It turns out that the wood edges forming the locker were not well treated. The supporting wood below was, but the actual wood deck forming the hole did not appear well treated, allowing water to seep in. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.

I do still have one other question ...
The back to back seats are attached to a wood box, which is attached to two wood supports which are attached to the deck. See Picture for the wood support.
P1010074b.jpg

Does anyone know how these are attached to the deck in my 1994 Sea Ray 200BR? I want to replace the wood - but am afraid of removing the bolts in case they are through the deck and I lose them there. Can anyone just tell me?

And - if I am to remove them, what is the recommended way to attach the new supports? (please be specific)

Thanks!

Icyharp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well they should not be able to go anywhere as there is suppose to floatation foam under that deack. But one never knows what a PO may have done, check to see if that block is stapled to the floor, cause whom ever installed them bolts could not reach the backside either. Only way you are going to find out by trying to loosing them, cause they could be a stud as well instead of a through bolt.