Soapbox: The Saddam issue

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Soapbox: The Saddam issue

There is a great essay which I found on the last page of the current issue (Sept 2) of Time magazine. I also found it on their web site and linked it in for you below. I think you all should read it - it certainly makes you realise the practical reality that would occur if/when Saddam becomes nuclear capable.<br /><br /> The Terrible Logic of Nukes <br /><br />Once he gets nukes, we enter a whole new ballgame. The most dangerous and powerful combination is someone who is nuclear armed and known to be willing to push the button. Fear is the key. Despite the fact that America would still have far superior forces and weaponry - what America doesn't have is the madman who controls the nuke button...

crab bait

Captain

what the heck's ever body talkin' about..<br /><br />he's already has nukes ,,& lots of 'em & many more if'n he needs 'em.. from 'black-market' RUSSIA... <br /><br />remember fellas'.. the future ain't what it used to be...

amtsst

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alright, WVIT100. That was a reasonable response to my somewhat unprovoked attack.<br /><br />Allow me to rephrase my response:<br /><br />First:<br /><br />Iraq's current status: We know that Iraq has chemical weapons. Saddam has demonstrated the will to use them against his own countrymen. Our intelligence (direct human, anecdotal, and satellite) tells us that Hussein has managed to acquire spent fuel rods from Russia. (from US News article from several months ago). There are very few uses for spent fuel rods except weapons programs. I don't believe that Saddam has suddenly decided to compete with the Mayo Clinic in the area of cancer research.<br /><br />Substantial commentary from former military officials in a variety of media suggests that if Saddam isn't already there on a nuclear weapon, he is close. Additionally, we know SH still has some Scuds. They admittedly were very inaccurate in the Gulf War but he's had 10 years to improve them and I would guess that he has made some strides on accuracy. I can grant you that there is no proof of biological agents (at least that we know of). What we can safely conclude is that SH has chemical agents and that he has improved his ability to deliver them.<br /><br />Let us simply agree that SH has the ability to remotely kill large numbers of people, ok???<br /><br />Now you might say, "so??? that doesn't give us the right to invade". Unfortunately for Saddam, the peace accords that ended the Gulf War specifically prohibited SH from developing weapons of mass destruction. These are identical to the accords which prevent Japan from developing an offensive arsenal. This is the point of a peace accord and I'm sure you realize it. If you fight and lose, the winner gets to dictate terms. In our example, SH lost and agreed to abstain from weapons programs. Regular, unemcumbered inspections were also a provision. In exchange, we agreed not to remove him from power and would enforce no-fly zones. As I recall, everybody signed the accord.<br /><br />Fast forward 10 years. SH kicked out the weapons inspectors 3 1/2 years ago. I must ask why! Why would he do this? Its in violation of the peace terms. It would also suggest that he's doing something he wishes to keep secret. Again...why? Here I am, an ordinary citizen and I can determine from CNN that Saddam is up to something. He shoots at our planes that patrol the No-Fly zone. He won't let us inspect certain facilities. He is buying plutonium from the Russian black market. <br /><br />Lets skip the empirical evidence and just agree that SH has violated at least 3-4 terms of the cease fire of 1991??? Can we agree?<br /><br />.....Summary......<br /><br />Saddam funds terrorist movements. He pays $25k to each suicide bomber in Israel. He shoots at our F-15's (this alone constitutes war). He kicked out weapons inspectors in direct violation of his signed peace agreement. He continues to develop offensive weapons programs. (Lets not pretend that chemical arsenals are "defensive") Even if its not tied to the war on terror, I *personally* feel like an attack on Iraq is justified. I hate to use the Hitler arguement because its the most worn out defense there is...but Hitler launched an offensive/appeasement campaign very early on. He marched into the Sudentenland and declared it part of Germany. NObody blinked. He conducted the Anschluss by annexing Austria and nobody blinked. He continued to stockpile weapons while everybody shrugged and said, "thats his perogative". Then when he had a supercharged military machine, he took over western Europe.<br /><br />I don't believe Saddam is amassing weapons to defend himself. I don't believe he's doing it in the interest of his own National Security. I think he's doing it to go on the offensive at some point and its incumbent upon us to stop that...if for no other reason than he's breaking our peace deal.<br /><br />As for what type of government to install...I don't have a great deal of wisdom or understanding with regard to Muslim international politics. Perhaps we annex Iraq as part of Kuwait. Perhaps we do what we're doing in Afghanistan with Hamid Karzai. Dunno. What I do know is that SH intends to one day use his weapons aggressively and it probably won't be on his fellow Islamic nation states. Israel, the UK, or the US will almost certainly be the target!<br /><br />You make this statement: "And then what exactly is our plan after invading a country that hasn't actually threatened anyone for almost 10 years"<br /><br />I submit that this is exactly the kind of short sightedness that made the UN decide to pull out. I'm not faulting you specifically. This mentality is endemic. SH attacked and invaded a soverign nation state who was also allied with the US. Seven years later, with almost no change in goverment, policy, or attitude, we say, "well ok...he wants us to leave so I guess we will...and besides, he's been good." Unfortunately, we can't seem to change the ways of the average street thug in seven years behind bars. Why does anybody think that some sanctions have cured SH in the same period of time? Castro hasn't mended his ways after 40 years!<br /><br />NO, NO, NO. This is the same guy, same attitude, same ego. He's just a little smarter and will be more careful next time around.<br /><br />Your points about Saudi Arabia are highly relevant. While I don't advocate attacking them, I do advocate some sort of punishment. Saudi's are two faced. One of their princes just got busted running cocaine in Florida. Another prince directly funded Al Queda. Only 8% of the oil in the US is from Saudi Arabia. I say lets get that number to zero and then tell them to take a hike.<br /><br />I leave you with this broad question: If you don't believe that we should depose Saddam now, at what point is it appropriate? Should we refrain from attacking Saddam until after Washington DC is a wasteland?<br /><br />Your response????????

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Guys<br /><br />We shouldn't need to get into personal attacks on each other on this board. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and at the end of the day, we all have at least one thing in common - the love of boating and fishing.<br /><br />My view on this thread's topic is similar to Backwater's. He has expressed our side of the argument well. The essay I've linked to in a previous post here, also makes some chillingly logical observations on the issue.<br /><br />The purpose of debate is to make people think.<br /><br />I hope this will happen more on this subject because at present, I think the world as a whole is not taking the Saddam threat seriously enough.<br /><br />As JB would say, Peace ? :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

Well said mate! ;) <br />this country was founded on all voices being heard, regardless of how ridiculous it sounded.<br />freedom of speech means you may not always like what you hear.... (poor baby)<br />what ever happened to tolerance and respect for other peoples opinions?<br />cheers,<br />M.Y.

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

To make it simple and to the Point , the Pres. father should have taken him out when he was in office. Now the chip off the block , doesn't know what to do! VOTES COUNT IN THE NEXT ELECTION!!!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Saddam<br />Hussein<br />Is<br />Toast!!!!!<br /><br />And God Bless Tony Blaire for a voice of comradery,in a sea of Dashaels.<br /><br />
pcspectanim_e0.gif
<br /> <br /><br /> ......................IRAQ

D

DJ

Hey Pursuit,<br /><br />George I, did NOT have the blessing of the coalition that he put together to do go after Saddam in Baghdad. The coalition blessed his operation ONLY to liberate Kuwait, and that is exactly what he did.<br /><br />By the way, I think there was someone in office for eight years between. What was he doing besides blowing up aspirin factories to cover his escapades in the Oval Office? He even had Osamah offerred up on a silver platter more than once and decided not to do anything.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I liked Tony Blair's comments on the Saddam problem, that he would prefer it if the United Nations could find "a way of dealing with it, not a way of avoiding dealing with it".<br /><br />All the arguments I've seen against taking action centre on the "maybe if we ignore the problem it will go away" theory. Unfortunately, almost a year ago now, that theory was proven to be a terrible tragic failure in practice.

Before any act of war is carried out i hope EVERY possible avenue has been TRUELY explored to prevent this from happening. <br /><br />War is not a great option and i for one would like to see before, USA, Australia / New Zealand & British governments send in troops that support is given to thier own people whom want to toss out the tosser Saddum. <br /><br />However if all else fails and the go button is given it better be swift and no holds barred.<br /><br />"I wonder how much FIGHT the leaders would have if all were tossed onto an island alone so they can fight amongst each other to sort out there ****". <br /><br />My 2 cents worth <br /><br />Brian

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

"The president has been clear that he believes weapons inspectors should return," Powell said in an excerpt aired by the British Broadcasting Corp. The BBC will air the full interview in a week. <br /><br />Last week, Vice President Cheney, making his case for a pre-emptive strike to topple Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein, said resuming inspections could be counterproductive. <br /><br />"Iraq has been in violation of these many U.N. resolutions for most of the last 11 or so years. So as a first step, let's see what the inspectors find, send them back in, why are they being kept out," Powell said.<br /><br />What?? Does the administration want inspections or not, hard to tell isn't it. The man who led our forces in Desert Storm says we should have inspections but then the Vice President says the it won't do any good. Bush can't seem to make up his mind, his statements are sort of wishy-washy on the issue. He want's to do something but won't say exactly what that might be. <br /><br />So far all I've heard or seen on the news says that it will be at least three years before Sadam has nuclear weapons and that he has yet to even get to the point of any testing. I haven't seen anything specific pointing to any terrorism against the US by Iraq. North Korea is providing missle technology to Iraq and they have launched a ballistic missle that could reach Hawaii, they would seem to be more of a threat than some third world country like Iraq. Saddam only controls about a third of his own country, do you think a leader that can't even control his own country could pose a serious threat to the US. <br /><br />The question is, do you think the Middle East will be safer for American interests after an unprovoked attach on an Arab country. Or do you think this will serve to fuel the fires of anti-americanism and terror against the US in this part of the world.

SCO

Lieutenant

They are going to be nicer when they realize we wont put up with that #@$%. Like 43 said, it will take 10 years and we are going to take it to them. Then again, maybe you are right though my gut says they feed on this kind of self doubt.

Fishbusters

Ensign

I got one **** of an idea lets start with Sadam and end up with Blair or some other such person. I think the USA should take over the world. <br />Okay now that I have your attention I want to make the same point I made earlier loud and clear by taking Sadam out we will be taking out someone WE put into power in the first place. Every time the US has tried to "manage" a small country or nation it has backfired. WWI and WWII were somewhat the exceptions as we fought a war and "won" then dictated the terms of rebuilding the "loosers" but still screwed that up in the long run. If we want to take out Sadam we should do it as well as a few others there but this time instead of rebuilding thier government (replacing one SH for perhaps another as we have done in the past) either make them us territories or leave them in the stone age.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...and the president should change the name from "Iraq" to something more suitable like... "New Texas" :D <br /><br /> (other non-PC suggestions have been edited out after reflection by 62...)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

But Peter, even America has made mistakes in trying to 'project power' globaly. We just aren't good at it, as you said. But that should NEVER deter us from trying.<br />Freedom of religion,speech,to go along with joys of benefiting from the fruits of one's own labor are the American way.<br />We don't corner the market on freedom and rights. Other countries have blossomed using these building blocks.<br />So, we put Saddam into power?? I didn't know that....Learn something new every day :) <br />So,whereas that's a bit of an embarassment, Saddam is not a robot. He has chosen to be a tyrant.<br />He is what he is. And given the potentials of future problems,we have no choice, but to take him out. This is war, declared or not. We have lost much of our freedoms of movement due to 9-11.<br />Not to mention, the security of going to a movie,without a nagging thought of "what if".This angers me, along with other freedom-loving folks (no doubt you too).<br />I enjoyed those freedoms,but my grandon will not.<br />This is unacceptable to me,and I feel the need to retaliate. I just hope the rest of America shares the nagging desire to rip his head off,and down his neck. How he or other world leaders feel about our "agressive nature" be danged.

Fishbusters

Ensign

Not saying not take him out but when we do let's do it right. We should either take the reigns of the country or leave them to rot so as to avoid future problems. What our problem has been in the past is we remove one dictator and replace him with another. If you look at almost every country that hates us you will find we had something to do with a shift in power withing that country's government. Whether it be putting those in power that now want to kill us or putting someone in power and leaving them to be slaughtered. Our foreign policy in the past has sucked and something needs to change.

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think its Saddam that is the issue here.....Its Microsoft we need to keep an eye on, did you hear..............<br /><br />REDMOND --World leaders reacted with stunned silence as<br />Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) conducted an underground nuclear <br />test at a secret facility in eastern Washington state. The <br />device, exploded at9:22 am PDT (1622 GMT/12:22 PM EDT) today, <br />was timed to coincide with talks between Microsoft and the US <br />Department of Justice over possible antitrust action.<br /><br />"Microsoft is going to defend its right to market its products <br />by any and all necessary means," said Microsoft CEO Bill Gates.<br />"Not that I'm anti-government" he continued, "but there would <br />be few tears shedin the computer industry if Washington, DC <br />(not Washington State) were engulfed in a bath of nuclear fire."<br /><br />Scientists pegged the explosion at around 100 kilotons. "I <br />nearly dropped my latte when I saw the seismometer" explained <br />University of Washington geophysicist Dr. Whoops Blammover, "At <br />first I thought it was Mt. Rainier, and I was thinking, ****, <br />there goes the mountain bike vacation."