So tired of attacks against our Police!!

D

DJ

Re: So tired of attacks against our Police!!

D.L. Moore wrote:<br /><br />
Why couldn't the police have shot out his legs, and he probably would have dropped the baby and perhaps the gun as he fell?
Uh huh, OK. And what if the baby hit its head, in the fall, and died? Come on. Get real. Not to mention the lawsuit that would be following making an illegal alien a rich man. That's justice?<br /><br />That was "no win" situation for ALL involved. That's called LIFE. No guarantees.<br /><br />Besides, none of us were there. Second guessing is just that-guessing.<br /><br />Unfortunately, an innocent, died in the taking out of a real dirtbag.<br /><br />Do this a few more times and maybe the dirtbags will no longer have the upper hand.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I would say that shooting the legs would be the worst thing anyone could ever try. For one thing I have seen people shot in the leg. 1 hunting accident 1 assault. Unless you take out the large bone in the upper leg you will get bad results trying to stop someone that way. The hips are a good place to aim for because without that bone they fall, but if they were using 9mm handgunsm, it may not shatter that bone. <br />Now try to his a leg bone from a distance with a handgun while on an adrenaline rush and ducking shots. Impossible! We here are trained to shoot until the threat is ended either by death or by the suspect giving up. We also train what we call the double tap. Always 2 shots to center mass. The first shot will almost always go into the ground between the suspect and us. We train double tap then decide. 2 to the body 1 to the head. We fire center mass because that is the best place to stop a suspect. If it comes to shooting that means that all else has failed and deadly force is the last resort. <br />We are often faced with a sort of triage situation. Take the lesser of 2 evils. If this suspect was trying to shoot his 17 year old, who is to say he wouldn't have next shot the baby then himself? Lose a life to save another so to speak. <br />Every time I qualify I shoot between 98% and 100%. Being on the special services team I have to shoot above a 95%. Even though I am a good shot at a paper target, shooting at a moving body who is shooting back is hard. When faced with that I will not waste time and shots trying to take out a leg bone. I will fire on center mass and end the threat. If I do not end the threat in a few shots it is usually bad news. Every in custody death in this state must go before the grand jury. I would rather answer the question "officer did you mean to fire 2 shots killing the suspect" than to answer "officer did you mean to fire 11 shots, reload and continue to shoot this person until they finally died?". This question is always asked, and is simple to answer. I fired until the threat ended. That is why we tossed our 9mm's, so we could get the most damage per shot increasing the odds of stopping the bad guy without killing the bad guy or killing the bad guy quick if that is what is needed.<br />The important thing now is to offer prayers for everyone involved. the cops the families, the dead child and especially the dead suspect. They all need help from above.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I almost forgot Bubbakat, if you ever need to talk about it let me know and I will drop you my E-mail addy. I've been there so I know.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I never would have believed when I started this post,that it would continue like this. It seams like a pretty good share of dialog, and I am happy to see, for the most part, the support of our nations police force. This sure seams to be in contrast to what you see and hear in the news. This whole story had pain and suffering in everyone's corner, except in the news, where they only looked at the reactions from the minority community. I believe in judging people by what they do and how they lead their life. I don't care about being politicly correct or being "sensitive". I still have to ask why the news media does everything they can to sanction and exploit the racial content of stories like this. I can only speak for myself, but if I heard that a white, idiot criminal did something like this, I would be sorry for the baby, and thankful that no police or other inocent bystanders were harmed. Why is it, that in this case and others like it, that the news headlines read " African American man and baby gunned down by police" ? Why is it that I teach my kids to respect police officers and if necessary to submit to them on the street( do what they say, don't talk back and certainly don't mouth off or dissobey), yet certain minorities feel the need to tell their kids to run, fight, and if possible,"to put a cap in them" ? Yet they wonder why their kids are in trouble ?

bubbakat

Captain

waterone1 when you find an answer to this question you have asked in your last post please post it. My self ans thousands of others have a need to know the answer. I also thank you for your support.<br /><br />BTW DD thanks for the offer but as always I am dealing with it.