So I thought I got a deal.......

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: So I thought I got a deal.......

Ok guys, been doin work!!! I stripped it completely down to see where the damage lies. I found a bent axle, a replacement leaf actually taller than the original (causing the lean) and rusted u bolts everywhere. I rewelded a few spots that had shotty work from the factory, and ground all the sharp edges round. Gonna order an axle, new pair of matched leafs, 2 new tires/wheels, light kit, make new bunks, and a crank. Before all this stuff gets here, she's gonna get a fresh coat of bright blue paint and grip tape on all the tops of the frame. All in all including the trailer cost, I'll be in a total $550. Not bad for a better than new trailer.

A-Frame Laying flat on my garage floor!!! Straight A-frame
trailer repair 2.jpg

Leading main beam, KINKED 14" from the end. Cut off the kink and now perfect (I had it to spare anyway)
trailer repair 6.jpg

All the usables... Except the crank, getting a new one with nylon strap.
trailer repair 4.jpg

Cleaned up the corners, and primed all the grind spots.
trailer repair 7.jpg

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Now, didn't you have fun today?

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Absolutly, I live for this kinda stuff.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Absolutly, I live for this kinda stuff.

Good thing, cuz I think you couldn't order a brand new trailer from Conestoga Marine for a few bucks more than you'll have into this one :eek:

P.S. - Howdy neighbor. Where you planning on boating? I boat on the river at Goldsboro, Clarke, and Conowingo.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good thing, cuz I think you couldn't order a brand new trailer from Conestoga Marine for a few bucks more than you'll have into this one :eek:

P.S. - Howdy neighbor. Where you planning on boating? I boat on the river at Goldsboro, Clarke, and Conowingo.

There is no way I would get a trailer that will be this solid, quality built and nice as the one I'm building. Thanks to my new friends at Fairwinds marina, I'll be completing this project for under $450, including the cost of the trailer. And thanks to my friends at work, the paint is on the house, thanks to my company trying to go more green and eliminate the oil based and polyurethane paints.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We will be boating on Redman, Codorus, and Conowingo. But most importantly, Kent Narrows, and the Wye River. We're gonna get all the crabs outta there next year ;)

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Today I made 3 keel roller mounts to weld back onto the right spots on the trailer. I use 2" flatbar, 1/4"thick. I'll be welding those on Thursday, and then lay out the primer. Hopefully have color by the weekend.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heres a few updated pics... Moving right along. I welded the leaf spring and fender mounts to the frame, also welded in an angle crossmember for a fixed bunk setup. I cut some diamond plate aluminum for a standing point at the top of the A frame. View attachment 123362 View attachment 123363

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally finished with paint and most of the fab work. I have light brackets that will mount behind each fender, the front post with its new winch and new carpeted bunks are in the garage, I'm going to make risers for the bunks from 1.25" SS square tube. I went to eastern marine, I bought new leaf springs, wheels & tires, axle, bearings, seals... Everything new except the frame and hubs. Cost of the trailer $175, cost of parts to make it like new, $270.... Total: $445 completed. I guess in the end, I did get a decent deal. How's she look?
th_trailerPainted.jpgth_trailerpainted3.jpg

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Looks great bud nice job!!

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys... I hope the boat comes out as nice as the trailer did. This is my first boat build project.