So I thought I got a deal.......

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought this galvanized tilt trailer set up for a 14' v bottom, from Craigslist, the guy said it needed a little work. From the pics he sent me, it looked good. When we get there, he has it out and ready for us. About 30 seconds into talking to this guy, my wife gets outta the truck saying my son (3yr old) is crying and has to pee BAD (he waits until the last second to tell us). I met this guy in the middle of nowhere and the closest anything to pee on is 4 country miles away. (I know, shoulda left them home). He refuses to pee anywhere but in a toilet and his pants. So I say I'll take it, apolagize for having to scoot so fast, hook up, pay the man and leave. we haul *** to the carryout down the road 4 miles. when we get there, mama takes him in to pee, I start to closer inspect the trailer because it seems to track to the right some. Something looked crooked, but I figured it was just the slope I was on. So, we get home, I back it in the garage and begin a full inspection. The trailer looks like it was involved in an accident. If you look at it from the back looking straight forward you can see the right side is lower. I measured its an inch lower on the right side. But heres the catch... It has two different size tires on it. The right tire is an 8-5.7 and the left tire is an 8-4.8 You would think with the larger tire on the right, it wouldnt be lower than the left but it is. The leafs are the same on both sides, but the measurement from the top of the axle mounting plate to the bottom of the frame is an inch different too. What the hell is going on here. The right tire looks crooked too, it spins round, but is towed out enough to see it with your eyes. I had no idea it was this bad, but he did state that it needed work. He said it came with his boat, but he has a boat lift on his dock and doesnt want this in his yard. I need to fix this. I want to pull it all apart and see if the frame will lay flat on my garage floor. if I dont, how can I straighten it? Could the right leaf be damaged from what bent the right hub? Its almost like the right leaf isnt as strong as the left anymore, even though you can tell they are both the same, same light surface rust, same numbers on each. The perches that the leaf bolts to is undamaged.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: So I thought I got a deal.......

BTW, it was $175, so I cant be too pissed.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it was my kid he would be sitting in wet pants. Did you try to call the seller back?

Tyme2fish

Commander

A three year old boy that won't pee outside?? You've got bigger problems than a trailer.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it was my kid he would be sitting in wet pants. Did you try to call the seller back?
yea, he said he didnt have any history on it... He said he let it go so cheap because he knew it would need work.

A three year old boy that won't pee outside?? You've got bigger problems than a trailer.
Yea, he'll be 3 in December to be exact, recently completely potty trained. He's so proud to pee on the toilet, now he wont go anywhere else.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Scrap the trailer they're cheap. Buy a porta potty.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I am thinking some time in the past while it was loaded it took a bit hit on the right side , bent the axle or spindle. That is the cause of a wheel toe in being out and bent the spring, I would try and measure the curve on the spring , I would jack it up and sit the frame on blocks with the wheels in the air and start measuring. If the frame is still square you have something left to work with. But it is a lot of work and expense . You can find a new spring and axle set, if its worth it to you . But it really depends on the frame.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

sounds to me like a bent axle or frame... scrap it.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went on west marine, as long as the frame is ok, I can get fix it relativly cheap.... Alot cheaper than a new trailer, especially since this one is lightweight, rust free and a good fit for my boat. I'm a pretty good fabricator too, so I like getting into this kind of stuff
Loaded Axle $135
Leafs $60 for the pair.
Wheels/Tires $110 for the pair.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I went on west marine, as long as the frame is ok, I can get fix it relativly cheap.... Alot cheaper than a new trailer, especially since this one is lightweight, rust free and a good fit for my boat. I'm a pretty good fabricator too, so I like getting into this kind of stuff
Loaded Axle $135
Leafs $60 for the pair.
Wheels/Tires $110 for the pair.

abctrailerparts.com

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

For the price you paid for it its not a bad deal at all since its worth almost $175 in scrap metal. But if your into that kinda thing like I am the first thing to do is to make sure its square, so measure it out or get your ball of twine, which ever way you do it and get to welding it up. Sounds like a fun project.

Please remember welding on Galvanized steel gives off toxic fumes so use the proper safety precautions

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the price you paid for it its not a bad deal at all since its worth almost $175 in scrap metal. But if your into that kinda thing like I am the first thing to do is to make sure its square, so measure it out or get your ball of twine, which ever way you do it and get to welding it up. Sounds like a fun project.

Please remember welding on Galvanized steel gives off toxic fumes so use the proper safety precautions

I'm gonna start breaking it down tomorrow. Im thinking disassemble the whole thing, lay it flat upsidedown on my garage floor to see if its twisted or do I have a bent leaf or what it is causing it to lean. While its all apart, I'm gonna check to verify square and then get to welding her up. I have to set it up for my boat, I'm gonna make all my brackets for the keel rollers and weld them into place. I can suspend the boat over the trailer in my garage to get a perfect fit. I dont know if I should bolt this stuff up or just weld it on. I'm not concerned with strength, both would be fine. I'm wondering which will corrode the trailer less. After I weld things up on there, what can I use to coat it with after its done? I know, paint, but what will work best, considering I will be launching in salt water most of the time.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

you can get cold galvanizing spray paint at Lowes or HD, its not as good but its in a can so you can reapply it as needed to the welded areas, as to whats better welding or bolting you know the answer to that! Why bolt anything when you can weld it?!

I think your ideas on squaring it are in line with what I would do, who knows why the trailer is bent or tracks weird but with some time, creative relief cuts and welding I have no doubt you can bring her back to plum

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you can get cold galvanizing spray paint at Lowes or HD, its not as good but its in a can so you can reapply it as needed to the welded areas, as to whats better welding or bolting you know the answer to that! Why bolt anything when you can weld it?!

I think your ideas on squaring it are in line with what I would do, who knows why the trailer is bent or tracks weird but with some time, creative relief cuts and welding I have no doubt you can bring her back to plum
Lemme tellya, if my garage wasnt attached to my house or my kids rooms werent right above the garage, I'd be down there right now getting started. I'll take pics throughout.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I hear ya there! My wife and I agree on one thing for our next house, attached garage DETACHED WORKSHOP!!LOL

which by the way will also be considered Lipp's Toy Box, housing my Boat, My Harley and My truck, she makes the rules.....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Eh, on a boat trailer it is OFTEN better to bolt and or clamp than weld when attaching spring hangers, fenders, and winch stand... being adjustable is a good thing

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Eh, on a boat trailer it is OFTEN better to bolt and or clamp than weld when attaching spring hangers, fenders, and winch stand... being adjustable is a good thing

Welding is more fun so there (enter smiley sticking tongue out here):D

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

oh don't get me wrong... I LIKE melting steel.... I just welded up a bumper for my fifth wheel with a receiver hitch and welded it to the frame....

BTW winter is coming, be careful sticking your tongue out LOL
stuck-tongue-044.gif

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hear ya there! My wife and I agree on one thing for our next house, attached garage DETACHED WORKSHOP!!LOL

which by the way will also be considered Lipp's Toy Box, housing my Boat, My Harley and My truck, she makes the rules.....
Yea my wife and I agree the same... Too many toys and projects for an attached garage. we're not sure if we want to move into a new home that already has the things we want, or build on ours now. We have the property for it, just not sure if want to grow old here.
Welding is more fun so there (enter smiley sticking tongue out here):D
^^^^^ +1

oh don't get me wrong... I LIKE melting steel.... I just welded up a bumper for my fifth wheel with a receiver hitch and welded it to the frame....

BTW winter is coming, be careful sticking your tongue out LOL
View attachment 118676
I am really considering welding it, only because if I ever sell this boat, the trailer will go with it.