So Cal Burning

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer
How about Southern California being on fire? I see the smoke from Arrowhead out my front door 17.5 miles away.

Last edited:

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: So Cal Burning

It is blowing harder than I have ever experienced :eek: I spent a couple of hours cleaning up from last night's blow and it is blowing harder now. We can smell smoke and everything is kinda dingy. Lots of dust, but so far we're OK here. We are near an area of pretty high risk called Carbon Canyon (there is one here in Chino Hills and one in Malibu, both suck for wildfires), but it would take a huge series of events for our house to be in any Jeopardy. It would have to jump from house to house for over 2 miles as there is no fuel other than houses upwind. Downwind another issue, but these fires burn Northeast to Southwest.

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

My wife may not be able to get home since she works at the bottom of Cajon Pass. The 15 N was shut down earlier at Devore.

Link

Rear Admiral

Mrs.Link is on a Navy base down there.

She said that the people were having to start out for work several hours early to get there.

Here is a note I got from her this evening.

One interesting note. Seems the gym is being used for evacuees from the wild
fires. I am also betting my new suitemates are also evacuees. (They have a
dog and don't quite look military). I think I will enquire tomorrow at the
billeting office. If they need to move me back to Donnelly so another family
can have my room I am more then happy to accommodate.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Friends and relatives Malibu area, down to SD, and aunt in Encinitas (called her 2nite), cousins in Rancho Sante fe. Kind of a mess, lots will lose everything, but best I can say that the FF's from here in the PNW left today, on the way with help..wish ya all the best down there..

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Is it true that CA has problems with forest management? Seems like there is always a fire burning there somewhere every year. Do you think the Sierra club is going to be getting lots of "Thank You" letters? They should be paying the residents insurance premiums since they like untouched forests with all the dead timber laying around.

Hope everyone is safe and their homes stay intact. Real sad situation.

aspeck

Staff member

Hope all you So. Californians are safe! Gotta call some friends there today ... and our fire dept. is looking into sending manpower ...

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Is it true that CA has problems with forest management? Seems like there is always a fire burning there somewhere every year. Do you think the Sierra club is going to be getting lots of "Thank You" letters? They should be paying the residents insurance premiums since they like untouched forests with all the dead timber laying around.

So now it's the Sierra Club's fault? Man, that's a stretch.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hope all SO CAL I-boaters are safe, good luck to you all.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well the winds just stopped dead. Great news!! Now it is raining ash though :( It is like a very, very light snow outside. All of the kids' sports are shut down. No Baseball practice, no fields open, nothin'.

Side note: this is absolutely my target weather for fall boating offshore here. The lull between these offshore Santa Ana winds and the return of our typical onshore flow is magical. No wind swell, and glass from the Coast to Catalina Island, 26 miles out.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

So now it's the Sierra Club's fault? Man, that's a stretch.

Sad but true BB. You ought to do your homework before you counter true statements. Life is not what you wish it to be, it is what it is! Let's leave it at this. It is the same element that is keeping us from using the oil in our very own ground., Sierra Club or other!

MikDee

Banned

So Sorry to hear, this is truly a horrible catastrophe, worse then Katrina, and I thought that was a disaster,,, I feel for you guys, and wish you the best of luck, and may God bless you, and keep you all safe.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

I am sandwiched between the Witch fire and the Harris fire. Total of 8 fires within the san diego county.
Have relatives and friends all throughout the fire areas.
It was getting scary up until this AM. I burned 3 tanks of gas running around the county trying to get more info and confirming things from the news.
There was 3 false alarms around my place. News information is different on each channel.
Biggest news today was that the military had 30-40 choppers with buckets ready to go on Monday and the Cal-Fire (formally CDF) called them off.
Seems they have to have one of their own in any airborne help. They had TWO people available........
The military trains with Cal-fire, the miltary runs live ammo over our soldiers but Cal-fire doesn't seem to think they can drop water correctly....
The CONTRACTED (something smells fishy here) air support was grounded and the very airport they were at was burningg... Yet the military was ready to go and on a 30 min standby. (ready for full assault in 30 mins)
4 years ago we had a similar fire and some of the same critical mistakes are being made even after a spendy tax payer funded investigation to come up with better plans for such disasters.
The winds let up and the ground crews are making fire breaks/backfires. If the wind holds I think they will get it under control soon.
500,000 people, 20% of san diego's population has been evacuated.:eek:
We only really know half the story as the news isn't following some areas. They seem to be reporting more on the wealthy area's......:rolleyes:
On a positive note, the locals have all been pitching in, tons of food,water,blankets, more volunteers than evacuees and all pets have been accommodated (horses,pigs,gots, you name it).
San Diegan's really came through for each other..

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Sad but true BB. You ought to do your homework before you counter true statements. Life is not what you wish it to be, it is what it is! Let's leave it at this. It is the same element that is keeping us from using the oil in our very own ground., Sierra Club or other!
HMMMMM, yep wood burns.........:rolleyes:
I'm gonna guess that RCS construction's reason is a little closer to the truth......;)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I think it's Bush's fault.....;)
If the National Guard was home, they could have helped with the fire....:rolleyes:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well I am gonna leave you conspiracy theorists to your conspiracies. For my buck this fire is about fuel, humidity (dry fuel), oxygen (wind) and ignition sources.

The raw #s today are staggering:

420,424 acres burned
1,155 homes destroyed
881,500 people evacuated
L.A. Times

zoe'sdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Forest management maybe around Big Bear, but from Aqua Dulce down to Piru it just dry brush. Burns every year in late fall. I believe it was 2003 that the fires burned through San Fransquito Canyon, Stephenson Ranch and to Thousand Oaks. A lot of houses in Santa Clarita catch fire because the embers land on wood shake roofs.