Pics of boats being built

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer
I have seen several posters who post links to websites that show the before, the constructions and after pics of their boats being restored or modified and I for one find it very interesting. The last one I just looked at belonged to Jasonj. Great series of pics jasonj. Feel free to repost here. Does anyone else have any?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: Pics of boats being built

Big Poppa G,<br /><br />Go to the boat restoration section and you will find a bunch of guys doing just about the same thing Jason did with the skanky beast.<br /><br />I bet there are at least 4-5 similar posts out there right now. I would go out there myself but these guys give me an inferiority complex.....<br /><br />Enjoy

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. Found it after I posted. I guess I need to be a little more patient. ;)

adamsnez

Cadet

http://brett.hackshack.ca/boat/ <br /><br />check the NEW and OLD folders for referrence.<br />my first boat, im 18. my friend and i did it all. about 80 hours combined work for the overhaul.<br />Note: going to make a removeable floor for the very front, in front of seats (as you can see, it's bare bottom right now.)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Adamsnez,<br /><br />Must be that new Lincoln Town Boat I have heard so much about! LOL!

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Adamsnez,<br /><br />How do you get from front to back?<br />And what if the shift pattern doesn't match the outboard you're gonna hang on the back?<br />Inquiring minds wanna know.

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

adamsnez - what make of boat is that? Looks good. I'm not too sure about the seats, but I bet they're comfy!<br /><br />Here's mine before...<br />
55579253.jpg
<br /><br />During...<br />
60022171.jpg
<br />
60022162.jpg
<br />
60022159.jpg
<br /><br />After...<br />
62773198.jpg
<br />
62773224.jpg
<br />
62773250.jpg

adamsnez

Cadet

Mark42; you got that right. it hits the market next year ;) '06 model<br /><br />Dave; i cut out the power seat console in the middle.. there's about 9" of space in between. Only me and my friends use it, and none of us are even close to as big/unagile as, say, my parents :p ..<br />"And what if the shift pattern doesn't match the outboard you're gonna hang on the back?"<br />What does this mean, can someone explain?<br />His inquiring mind wants to know! :D <br /><br />55Crest; 1965 Aroliner. Everbody doubted me with the seats but i proove to set them wrong. I used a can of scotchguard on each.. (7 minutes constant of pure spraying the can).. Threw water on them from a can and it just ran off and didnt stick any. Plus; if im on the water and it rains HARD all of a sudden, i got plastic liners strapped underneath the front.<br />And yes, it's more comfortable driving that then my 2000 Grand Am ;) <br />Also, i give you much respect for your fabricating skills on your boat!!! :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

55Crestliner,<br /><br />That is a fine looking aluminum boat. <br /><br />Adamsnez, <br /><br />You and your buddy keep up the nice work. Nothing as refreshing as a little innovation every now and again!<br /><br />Wondering if these aluminum boats make the same sounds as fiberglass boats when underway?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the compliments Big Poppa. 55, sweet aluminum boat. Adam, the seats are intrigueing. Glad you thought about the waterproofing issue. An alternative is to try to find those waterproof seat covers you can put in Jeeps or other offroad vehicles, the Scotchgaurd will not last long. At least you have some covers. My other thought is shear weight, a pair of small boat bucket seats would weigh a fraction of that car seat. I am guessing that cost was also a factor, and that the seat you have it it was at a price that was right. Good inventiveness though, keep up the good work....

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the kind words! It has been a very fun project. I'd really like to paint the outside, and maybe do a tuck and roll upholstry some day, but it works for now.<br /><br />I think aluminum boats are pretty noisy, they really slap alot when hitting the water. I don't have very much motor boat experience, I've spent very little time in a fiberglass boat, so I can't really compare too well. I do know that fiberglass is a better insulator, especially if it has foam core or a floor liner.<br /><br />adamsnez, are you going to try to put in a rear bench seat from the Lincoln too? That would be cool. Not sure if you know this but there were aluminum boats with the brand name Cadillac. I tried to find one before I found this one. It would not have surprised me to see a Lincoln boat too.

adamsnez

Cadet

the seats aren't THAT heavy. It's like 25-30 pounds each, becuz we angle grinded off all the metal frame on the underside, except the support rails. Those frames and power seat solenoids weighed a good 25 pounds extra themselves. We essentially cut the weight of each seat down by half in the end. And really, when you take into account other stuff in terms of weights; ie: equipment, people, etc, the seats arent that much of a hinderance. And the price was right, 20$ Canadian per seat. These seats are in minty condition, seeing as they came outta 80's Linc's and sat in the junkyard for who knows how long. Very good finds. ANd i have two sets of pairs, 4 seats ;) ... Happened to find two Linc's with blue interiors. Although the other spare set is more "lux". It's like fluffy fabric, kinda wavey. Hard to explain.<br /><br />55Crest; funny you should say;) I actually have two pairs of blue lincoln seats, the other pair is in my shed for in case these ones get ruined..<br />And BOTH the lincolns i got these seats out of, the bottom cushion of the bench was taken!! i was annngryyyy ;) ... I was actually planning on putting in the back bench, but without a blue bottom to be found i was forced to halt my idea :( . Now really, how many boats have you seen with THAT in it.. LOL. woulda been that much more eye catching. and ya, i've seen Caddy boats on the net before, dont think there's Linc's