Smart Tab Adjustment

keifermj

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1986 19' Chris Craft Cavalier with a Merc 3.0. Last year I added a set of Smart Tabs. My boat has and still is pulling hard to the port side of the boat. I am wondering if there are adjustments I can make to the Smart Tabs to help correct this? I understand it is a little trial and error, but I want to make sure I get off to a good start. Should I have the port side tab set lower than the other? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

nlain

Commander
Re: Smart Tab Adjustment

You say, has and still pulling hard to port, you mean it would turn to port if you turn the steering wheel loose, and it had this problem before tab install, if so that is not Smart Tabs, it sounds more like the trim tab on the out drive, if you have one, needs to be adjusted to compensate for prop torque. The tab I refer to would be part of the zinc on the outdrive.

keifermj

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, I tried that. Actually I had the boat for a few years and noticed it didn't even have the tab on the outdrive. I bought the one that was supposed to work, but it interferred with the prop. That's why it must have been off. It has a nice stainless prop, but it is too big. I bought a smaller tab, but obviously it is not doing enough (I have it turn all the way to the starboard side). If I let go of the wheel the boat pulls to the left. Besides getting a new prop I didn't know if the Smart Tabs would help compensate for this.

nlain

Commander

I really do not think that Smart Tab adjustment will help that. My current boat does not have the tab on the outdrive, most of the newer do not due to larger props, I have no problem with a pull to the left, I am running the stock alum prop. Is the skeg twisted by chance where it could cause a pull to the left, when you trim up are you getting the bow out of the water, bow steer might cause this, Just thinking out loud here.