Ski/Tube with Alligators??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ski/Tube with Alligators??

I live in Florida and frequently ski with the kids in the Suwannee river which is all dark water teeming with gators. I had never thought much of it till we were riding around one day and look to the right and there on the bank was a gator that could have easily measured 13 foot. When we approached him he went into the water and we were unable to track him for even a few feet before he was gone. This raised a few second thoughts and I started to do a little research.
Based on what I have read, Gators kill prey by drowning it when they drag it to the bottom. They also cannot go deeper than 15 feet (something to do with their ears). So when I take the kids out for watersports, I stay in 20 feet of water or more which is out of their normal hunting grounds. They are an ambush predator and will troll the shorelines for prey. Stay in the middle of the body of water to lessen the probability of attack. And always hurry to spin the boat around and get back to the skier when they fall. While a gator might try to make a meal of a child who has fallen, he won't dare approach if the boat is close to them. They like singled out targets.
And if you're going to carry a gun, carry something with some punch. a .25 or .22 will just bounce off them. I have personally seen a 9mm not penetrate the hide of a 9 footer. It just scratched him. Knives are not even a reasonable defense strategy. For the most part they are scared of us but a hungry gator of the right size will become brave if opportunity arises. They don't even pose a threat until their 6'.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

They have a different name for those activities when gators are around.....TROLLING:D

cribber

Lieutenant

If you're skiing out in the middle of a lake or river gators are gonna leave you alone... for the most part. If you water ski or tube in the dark you're on your own since gators are generally nocturnal feeders. I rarely see gators when scooting across our local lakes. You need to troll the shoreline to catch them during the day. And just an FYI... don't disturb momma gator on her nest. All bets are off if ya do!!!

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

A few years ago, I took my sister and her two boys out jet skiing on a lake near Leesburg, FL. Horsing around with the ski and it stalled and wouldn't start. We drifted to a dark and overgrown side of the lake. We were soon surrounded by lots of gators. My nephew stay remarkably calm while we waited for the ski to restart or help to arrive. For the most part, the gators were either curious about us or waiting for free food. There were a couple that kept approaching and then retreating. Finally the ski started and we were glad to be moving. They all scattered when the ski started. It seems they were afraid of the ski, but not sure about us. We didn't see any in the middle of lake nor away from the shore. It's just a good memory now. :)

cribber

Lieutenant

I forgot to mention that part... don't turn off or stall your engine. They will investigate but generally keep their distance. For the most part if they can feel a motor running they tend to stay away. If you pull into a quiet cove and kill the engine you'll likely see one surface out on the Harris chain.

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class

A few years ago, I took my sister and her two boys out jet skiing on a lake near Leesburg, FL. Horsing around with the ski and it stalled and wouldn't start. We drifted to a dark and overgrown side of the lake. We were soon surrounded by lots of gators. My nephew stay remarkably calm while we waited for the ski to restart or help to arrive. For the most part, the gators were either curious about us or waiting for free food. There were a couple that kept approaching and then retreating. Finally the ski started and we were glad to be moving. They all scattered when the ski started. It seems they were afraid of the ski, but not sure about us. We didn't see any in the middle of lake nor away from the shore. It's just a good memory now. :)

wow, i have to admit i would have been pretty damn nervous! the worst part is that you have very little protection on a stalled ski against a gator.

Bumpus7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Habitat:

American alligators are mostly found in the Southeastern United States, from Great Dismal Swamp in Virginia/North Carolina south to Everglades National Park in Florida and west to the southern tip of Texas. They are found in the U.S. states of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Texas, Virginia and Oklahoma. Florida and Louisiana currently have the largest population of alligators. Florida has an estimated population of 1 to 1.5 million while Louisiana has an estimated population of 1.5 to 2 million.

Although primarily freshwater animals, alligators will occasionally venture into brackish water.[9] Alligators live in wetlands and this is the vital habitat that holds the key to their continued long-term survival. Alligators depend on the wetlands, and in some ways the wetlands depend on them. As apex predators, they help control the population of rodents and other animals that might overtax the marshland vegetation.

American alligators are less susceptible to cold than American Crocodiles. Unlike the American Crocodile which would quickly succumb and drown in water of 45 ?F (7.2 ?C), an alligator can survive in such temperatures for some time without apparent discomfort.[10] It is thought that this adaptiveness is the reason why American alligators spread farther north than the American Crocodile.[10] In fact, the American alligator is found farther from the equator and is more equipped to deal with cooler conditions than any other crocodilian.[11]

In Florida, alligators face ambient temperature patterns unlike elsewhere in their range. The consistently high temperatures lead to increased metabolic cost. Alligators in the Everglades have reduced length to weight ratio, reduced total length, and delayed onset of sexual maturity compared with other parts of their range. The reason for this poor condition is currently suspected to be a combination of low food availability and sustained high temperatures.

There is a map of US states that have Gators on this site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Alligator

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have them all over around here.....
Some lakes I will certainly not watersport in them......but others are fine

Here is one of the biggest one I encountered during a canoe trip.....

but doesn't stop us from enjoying skiing and tubing

IMG_0186Move.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They are all over the south half of our state. They don't like boats and stay away from the open water for the most part. It's not hard to find one - just motor very slowly up into the backwaters.

I always have a rifle in the boat but it's only for emergency type situations and I've (thanfully) never used it for that. A handgun for alligators is not effective. The larger handgun calibers will stop one if you hit the brain but the brain is the size of a quarter and those calibers are uncomfortable for a lot of people to shoot. Only a large caliber rifle will deliver the force needed to stop and deter them.

Be aware of your surroundings and pick places they don't particularly like to swim.

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I won't gain many points for saying this but.......the people who had to live with them killed nearly to extinction for a reason.

Now they are protected pretty much everywhere so you just have to deal with them.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

wow, i have to admit i would have been pretty damn nervous! the worst part is that you have very little protection on a stalled ski against a gator.

I had no choice but to stay calm and relaxed. If I had shown any fear, Sean would have jumped off the ski and attempt to swim to land. My staying calm enabled him to stay calm. Side bar: Sean battled cancer from the age of 7 to 12. He is a pretty remarkable young man now. :)

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Sure - I ski with 'em and dive with sharks. Were all here on this little planet together. If either want me bad enough they will get me. Cant live your life worrying about what if....

I spear fish all the time with hammerheads, reefers, bulls and an occasional tiger. Nothing like a bag full of blood leaking fish and a few sharkies around to get your adrenalin up :) - Usually a good spear poke in the snout makes the sharks a little more standoff-ish.

NEVER have I had a gator give me more than a cursory glance. They dis-like us and our noises.

hed

Recruit

No body mentioned this, I think, but don't hang limbs over the sides of boat docks or piers near the water. More than 1 individual has been maimed or killed from below by ignoring this advice. I know of 1 person who was lying on the dock on his stomach trying to untangle a line when his arm was grabbed by a gator. I believe he lived in Palmetto, Florida until then.

Attachments

• gator.jpg
    gator.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 0

Jane Warren

Cadet

When I visited Grand Cayman in October, after swimming my daily 1/2 mile, I found out that as I was swimming north, a small croc was swimming south!
They estimate it was only about 4' - swam away from shore - not sure where it was going.
Found out that Cayman means crocodile!

http://www.cayman27.com.ky/news/item/2963

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

They arnt protected in Florida. We can hunt 'em :) Mmmmm..... Tasty!

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I live in Florida and frequently ski with the kids in the Suwannee river which is all dark water teeming with gators. I had never thought much of it till we were riding around one day and look to the right and there on the bank was a gator that could have easily measured 13 foot. When we approached him he went into the water and we were unable to track him for even a few feet before he was gone. This raised a few second thoughts and I started to do a little research.
Based on what I have read, Gators kill prey by drowning it when they drag it to the bottom. They also cannot go deeper than 15 feet (something to do with their ears). So when I take the kids out for watersports, I stay in 20 feet of water or more which is out of their normal hunting grounds. They are an ambush predator and will troll the shorelines for prey. Stay in the middle of the body of water to lessen the probability of attack. And always hurry to spin the boat around and get back to the skier when they fall. While a gator might try to make a meal of a child who has fallen, he won't dare approach if the boat is close to them. They like singled out targets.
And if you're going to carry a gun, carry something with some punch. a .25 or .22 will just bounce off them. I have personally seen a 9mm not penetrate the hide of a 9 footer. It just scratched him. Knives are not even a reasonable defense strategy. For the most part they are scared of us but a hungry gator of the right size will become brave if opportunity arises. They don't even pose a threat until their 6'.

As a kid, we used to ski past gators in Lake Placid (FL).

The way that we approached it was...it tended to make us better skiers!

Here is one place that you might want to avoid:

29pdtzs.jpg

Happy boating!

cribber

Lieutenant

Well something has to eat all of those gars we hit cruising the lakes. :eek::D

Status
Not open for further replies.