ski tow hook location

Well i tried to find an answer to this but couldn't find it. I want to install a ski tow hook on my 86 bayliner 2150 br. I tried the harness that hooks to the transom strap hooks but i tdrags in the water too much for a tube. Is there an optimum place to mount this thing? Above or below the seam? I know i have to back it up and i plan on it with pressure treated 2x4 and a plate of aluminum on top of that. Im just wondering if there is a height i need to be at or stay away from.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: ski tow hook location

Godfather - Post up some pics of the stern of your boat and a top view of the stern also. I am sure the resto guys will have some ideas for ya.

haulnazz15

Captain

I think I'd go just above the seam on that boat, where the faded blue stripe is. I'd just use a piece of steel as a backer plate to spread the load out. The longer/wider the better to avoid cracking the fiberglass.

Well i have a piece of aluminum and a pressure treated 2x4 about 18" long. Is that sufficient or should i go wider

haulnazz15

Captain

That will be fine. You might just want to use some 3/4" plywood instead of the 2x4. I doubt the threads on the ski hook will be 2" long.

Actually it did and i got it in. Feels pretty solid too. Ill post some pics when its light outside in case anyone else has the same problem