Sitting Here With Itchy Forearms!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sitting Here With Itchy Forearms!

Hey fb,
Take some measurements of your hull cuz all the work you are going to be doing on her will cause her to flex some and she will have a tendency to get out of shape making it a PITA to get the Cap back on later. Knowing the proper dimensions will help you use straps and bracing to get her back in the proper shape to put the cap back on.

I'm just sayin...:D

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

When doing all of your glasswork, do not fill in the screw holes for the cap, this way you can use them as a guide for reinstalling the cap on the hull.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Time to post some more! Wood & Six-Thanks for the advise. I took more accurate & many measurements. I was going to fill the screw holes for the cap & now I know not to.

It took me 3 sessions of about 3-4 hours each to get the deck removed. Most of the time was spent removing what should not have been there in the first place. The gray stuff used as filler was a true PITA to grind, then pry from the hull. The wood over the deck had screws that were 1/4" below the surface. I could unscrew about 1/3 of them, the rest I had to plunge cut 4 sides around each with a circular saw. I also had to cut down the middle of each piece because of the shelf on the hull wouldn't let the deck piece be lifted out. After hours of that it took 1/2 an hour to cut the original glass holding the original deck to the sides of the hull. I'm really glad to have that part of this restore done.

100_5873.jpg

100_5879.jpg

100_5882.jpg

That is my blood on that board.

100_6158.jpg

100_6161.jpg

This shot shows the deck 1/2" above the hull. It was supported by 1/2" plywood cross pieces laid flat in grooves cut into top of stringers. I'm figuring on using PL to hold the new deck to the side of the hull & tabbing it in. I measured what I could of the cross pieces so I'll get them in the right place.

100_6160.jpg

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, it's been a long time since my last post but I haven't given up. The economy is kicking my butt.* Anyway, I have a question. I have an anode mounted through my hull under the gas tank with a ground wire running from the tank to it. Is that a good idea? Makes sense to me to have the tank grounded whenever the boat is in water. Just wondering if I should reconnect to it when I finally get that far. The boat never sees salt water. (600 miles away)

Thanks
EDIT

Last edited by a moderator: