single room hvac unit

captmello

Captain
Re: single room hvac unit

my plan was to put the thickest plastic i could find right on the slab than build the joist and every thing above that

Plastic on the slab is a good idea, but I think you should have a vapor barrier above the insulation as well. I would use paper faced fiberglass and staple the paper to the inside of the floor joists. This way the tops of the joists are exposed and you can glue down the subflooring which is code.
If there is a space below the joists, more than 2-3 inches, it may need to be vented.

It sounds like a job you'll need a permit for, so you could inquire with the powers that be regarding these issues. Funny thing is you may get a few different answers.

Remember - Most of the moisture in the house is coming from within not from outside. If the inside air is allowed to pass through the walls/floor/ceiling, it will reach the point within the insulation where the temp drops to the dew point and the moisture will condence in the insulation. this is what causes mold. the tighter the house becomes, the more this becomes a factor.

I am a Licensed Contractor in MN and run into this stuff all the time. There are many ways to do things, thats what makes this business fun. :)

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

what about cutting a few holes 3-4 inch dia. through the rim joist from the basement into the space under new floor ? this would be along the 25 foot wall length
would this allow sufficient ventilation or should it still have a couple of outside vents?

captmello

Captain

a few holes 3-4 inch dia.

Sure. Or, depending on the floor height you may get thicker insulation and rest it on the floor below. Then you wouldn't need to vent.

There are many ways to do things, thats what makes this business fun.

Sounds like a fun job.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

put a wood burning stove in there for the really cold days to help boost the heat.

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks TD the wife likes that ideal and the mood effect would be nice;)

zach103

Commander

did you get anything yet.. my dad sells a small verision of central air.. except less expensive not as loud. not as big. you can't even notice it when its on. we have on in our living room and it cools the whole bottom floor( 4 rooms total) my uncle (his boss) has 2 and takes care of his whole house. i can find out tomor if it heats.

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

that is what i am looking at using
what kind of info can you get for me