Simply info I wanted to share - comments welcome

Realdon

Seaman
Many years ago I owned a rather large pontoon boat that I kept at a marina in the Mississippi River. The problem was that I was still in the corporate world and was away from home and the area a lot of the time. In fact the last year that I owned it I was never on it once. A lot of other people used it (friends) but not me. Of course the marina and fuel bill came to me per my instructions. Anyway, I finally sold it.

Fast forward 25 years - I ran onto a guy that simply had more kids and toys than he could afford so I made him an offer that I thought was unreasonably low for his boat. At first he told me that he had been offered three times that for the boat. I then inquired why he never sold it an he replied that they didn't have the money just yet. Then I used the old line "money talks and BS walks" and offered to pay cash then and there. Well, although I didn't need a boat and didn't even really want one he accepted my offer of $1,500 and I was a boat owner in late August of 2010.

The boat is definitely not new but appeared to be in great condition. It is a 1982 Ranger 375-V with a 1993 150hp XR6 Mercury outboard on it. I never got it in the water in 2010 but I did do a lot of work on it during the winter. I build a new dash for it (some of you might remember when I posted it) and added some additional instruments. Also, purchased a boat cover from here on Iboats and added a new fish finder. I also added new life jackets, cup holders, bumpers, a battery charger, etc. that I would guess all added up to approximately another $900. All of this was done with the great intentions of doing a lot of fishing and just cruising in 2011.

So much for the plans, I only go it in the water three times this year. Once in the Des Moines River when it was high, once in a small lake to do some limited fishing, and once in the Mississippi for just some fun (my normally non-water liking wife even enjoyed it). Obviously, not much time and fun in the water but I did enjoy working on it in my shop last winter. Although some of you might think that I have too much money in that old of a boat I really think that it was a good deal being it is in great shape and runs super (images attached).

That is my boating story and I am sticking to it.:)
boat1.JPGboat2.JPGboat3.JPGboat4.JPGboat5.JPG

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Simply info I wanted to share - comments welcome

Looks like a clean rig! Nice shop too. I wish my 3 car was detatched from the house. Apparantly it stinks and is too noisy in the garage :) Anywho, my Stingray that i have to sell in spring has more money in it than it's worth... but i too enjoy working on things. It would be better if you could use it more... but some is better than NONE.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's a good, clean looking rig. Anytime you can get a boat on the water for $2,400.00 that is reliable, you are doing great. Regardless of its age. Congrats!
Thanks for sharing.:)
Happy boating, Joe

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I certainly don't think you're upside on that rig. Real nice older Ranger there.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Beautiful rig. I don't think you have too much into it - in fact, I don't think you could replace the motor for what you have into it. Enjoy!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Around here that rig in that condition would easily fetch $4k-$5k, maybe more. Nice job.

haulnazz15

Captain

Absolutely nothing wrong with $2400 into that rig. Looks like a nice old Ranger with a good powerplant out back. You could easily get $4K for it as-is I bet. Must have a hell of a hole-shot with that 5-blade prop hangin on it!

Realdon

Seaman

Absolutely nothing wrong with $2400 into that rig. Looks like a nice old Ranger with a good powerplant out back. You could easily get $4K for it as-is I bet. Must have a hell of a hole-shot with that 5-blade prop hangin on it!

I was curious about the prop. Because of your statement I assume that the more blades the more low end I should have. This could well be but I really don't have anything to compare it with. OTOH, downstream in the Mississippi at WOT it was showing 50 MPH via the GPS (sure was a lot of acronyms).:)

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The prop appears to be ported as well. Prob an $$ prop. Don"t know much about "clamp on's" but i/o props can be tuned with plugs in those ports. Did you get any plugs with the set up?

haulnazz15

Captain

In general, you will get a better hole shot due to increased surface area to "bite" on the water. However, the pitch/diameter have as much to do with holeshot/top speed as anything else. Many of the high-HP go fast boats use 6-blade herring props. Your prop appears to be pretty aggressive, so I wouldn't doubt the top-end speed.

Realdon

Seaman

The prop appears to be ported as well. Prob an $$ prop. Don"t know much about "clamp on's" but i/o props can be tuned with plugs in those ports. Did you get any plugs with the set up?

No sure what you mean by "ported" (I actually don't have a clue) but I didn't get any plugs with the unit.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

That's a nice rig! Even if you were to buy it for what you've got in it you didn't get hurt at all.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Realdon

Seaman

Just to close out this thread and let you all know "how to sell a boat". Last evening a guy stops in front of our house and asked if we knew how much the guy down street wanted for his boat (I didn't even know that there was one for sale down the street). I told him that I didn't know anything about it but I had one in our shop if he wanted to buy a boat. I was somewhat kidding but he was interested and wanted to see the boat. Long story short, he left with my boat and I got a good check for $3,500! If I had been using the boat I would not have sold it but I have not had it in the water even one time this year and Labor Day is near. The funny thing is that I found out about the boat that he originally asked about and it belongs to a friend of mine. It is going to take several Miller Lites before I get the courage to tell him what happened.:)

Anyway, I am now out of the boat business but just wanted to thank all of you for your help the past couple of years.

Cheers,
Don

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Congrats.

Now tell us, what exactly is a "good check"?