Signs of bad pour foam

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
What I use for mixing....
1/8" round stock with a 90 bend at the end. For resin I would let it build up a bit and beat it with a hammer when needing cleaning. For foam I think I just scraped it off with a knife

Wildey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Froggy !
This is the mixer type recommended. (pic)
Amazing, the variations recommended by various folks selling this pour foam.
Use mixer, don't use mixer.
example:
AeroMarine
FAQs
Q. Do I need a drill to mix the 2# foam?
No! Don’t use a drill because it ruins the foam’s ability to cure. Mix the foam with a clean plastic or metal tool in a clean plastic container.

Others say it is impossible to get a complete mix in the time allotted with a stick and MUST be mixed with a drill/mixer.

Guess you gotta "dance with the one that brought ya", as they say.
Thanks again,
W

Attachments

• mixer.jpg
    mixer.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1

tpenfield

Staff member
I don't really get carried away with mixing tools for pour-in foam, You only get about 20 seconds to mix it :oops: , so even a paint stir stick will do.

Also, it is best to mix in small batches according to how much you can pour in about 30 seconds.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
When I did the foam I just did the wire thing kinda slow so it mixed well but didnt splash. I chuck it up in a drill then cover the chuck with tape to keep it clean. My foam mixed well and cured fine.

RaftRat

Seaman Apprentice
I have some advice for what not to do from a previous boat owner- and it was a previous boat of mine so I can say that without specifically admitting to anything myself. The “previous boat owner” who was younger and dumber at the time, noticed that his fiberglass boat benches that used to be filled with foam were now pretty well hollow, so it was vacuumed out of the loose material and some foam was acquired. Well all I can say is that the owner came back from the store and applied Great Stuff Big Gap Filler🤦‍♂️ After two cans the “owner” looked inside, expecting to see the mass growing and filling the void, and only saw a turd of yellow gunk only filling about 3% of the bench cavity and after a little math realized that this was not the way to fill something of this volume.