sierra brand trim switches. How do they connect to old MC wires in engine bay

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice
I have pulled everything apart to replace bellows and since i couldn't get my gimbal bearing out tonight with a slide hammer, i decided to plan out my trim switch replacement.

I have the sierra brand switches and on both ends of the wire on each switch the bullet connectors are basically green. My connectors in the engine bay are purple and blue at the pump reservoir and brown and black going to the mass of wires just behind the engine. There are no instructions on which sierra wire goes to which coloured MC wire in the instructions. I was hoping somebody here knew which was which for connecting.

Also, is there some sort of trick to get the wires apart on the starboard switch where they connect by the back of the engine? I can easily get the bullet connectors off of the port side which goes to the pump, but i cannot get the other ones to budge to come apart. It's like it's a 2" black connection THAT DOESN'T come close to wanting to come apart.

thx
91 Alpha 1 Gen 2

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice
Re: sierra brand trim switches. How do they connect to old MC wires in engine bay

actually found some posts that say it doesn't matter what wire goes to what colour as long as the sender goes to the sender wires and the limit goes to the limit connections.

Now, about that starboard wiring i was talking about. Is that connection some sort of permanent connection? I would think now since my new puck has bullet connectors on it but for some reason this starboard wiring doesn't look like the connectors by the trim pump.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: sierra brand trim switches. How do they connect to old MC wires in engine bay

I have a 91 Pontiac with some funny connectors too. I just used a screwdriver and pair of side cutters and they came away real easy :D.....

What you working on? Apart from '91'....

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

Some have a terminal block back there that they screw to. The black is a ground. The brown goes to the gauge. Just cut off the brown and black and put bulletts on them to make your connection to your new sender.

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 91 Pontiac with some funny connectors too. I just used a screwdriver and pair of side cutters and they came away real easy :D.....

What you working on? Apart from '91'....

on 3.0L working on replacing uj bellows, putting an exhaust tube on and fixing the trim switches. I had water in the bellows from a small crack and need to replace. Gimbal bearing was also siezed a bit but was able to get it to turn and now it turns nice, but there is a bit or a rough spot in it. Tried hammering it out with 5lb puller but i couldn't budge it. So, on to the trim switches i went in the meantime.

I can take a picture of it, but i yanked on those black and brown wires and i couldn't budge them. I may have to cut and put connectors or just splice solder and heat shrink.

Man what a pain. I opened a can of worms when i pulled the outdrive. I knew it would happen!!

I'll post a pic when i have a moment.

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice

here's some pics
IMG_3558.jpgIMG_3557.jpgIMG_3558.jpgIMG_3557.jpg

whoops doubled up on them. In any case, the first one is the simple bullet and the 2nd one, well, i can't get that apart.

Bondo

Staff member

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice

alrighty, i'll give it another rip. thx very much!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... Gimbal bearing was also siezed a bit but was able to get it to turn and now it turns nice, but there is a bit or a rough spot in it. Tried hammering it out with 5lb puller but i couldn't budge it. ....

That gimbal bearing will need to be replaced... It's got water in it and the balls have corroded. It's only a matter of time before it collapses completely.

As Bondo said, those are all bullet connectors. The ones with the blue and purple wires are in a holder, just lift them out and pull them apart...

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice

the bullet connectors that were behind the engine were so seized that i broke them pulling them apart. Male end fell apart on one and the other one just got wrecked. I guess I'm cutting the brown/white and black wire to crimp new female ends on them. Although what i thought was funny was that of the original wires, one had a female end and the other had a male end as you can see in the pic. The sierra trim units all have male end connectors. Don't know if that was right or not, but in any case, gonna have to put to females on the connecting wires.

Oh yeah, that gimbal bearing will get replaced for sure. Just having an issue getting it out. It's the original for sure as i don't have any record of it being replaced in 20 years.