1959 Johnson 35hp shifting problems and excessive fuel use/loss

I just recently purchased an inexpensive boat (is there such a thing???) with a 1959 Johnson 35hp Super Sea Horse Electric Start motor mounted on it. The main selling point was what appeared to be this good running motor, despite its age. Anyway, our first trip out went great until we prematurely ran out of fuel. We burned through six gallons of fuel in about 90 minutes. MOST of which was at about half - 3/4 throttle on the Intracoastal Waterway. This seems to be excessive - when I test ran the motor in a trash can, it seems to be leaking some fuel...as it also seems to drip out from the bottom of the lower end when parked on an angle where the stern is lower than the bow in my driveway. Additionally, once we refueled, in my haste to make it back to the boat ramp somehow the shift linkage end broke (at the motor). I was barely able to jam the shifter back into forward but it was stuck there. We made it back to the ramp and now that the boat is back on land I looked at the shifter again. The cable to the shifter is operating smoothly but the shift armature is binding on the side of the motor and you cannot shift it even by hand on the side of the motor. I had to use a screwdriver and a hammer to "massage" it back into neutral. I figured this to be the best position to work on it. What can I do to free up this shift armature? Where can I get a replacement shift cable end (mine is torn-through)? What can I do about this excessive fuel use/loss? Any help would be greatly appreciated. New to working on outboards...THANKS!!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1959 Johnson 35hp shifting problems and excessive fuel use/loss

Your fuel usage should be about 3.5 to 4 gallons per hour, so you're not too far off the mark. For the shifting problem, you might want to take off the lower end (gearcase) and make sure the shift rod is not binding.

Re: 1959 Johnson 35hp shifting problems and excessive fuel use/loss

Based on what I had read in other posts and replies on this forum, I was concerned that that might be the next step. I have never done that before, and it sounds like a big job. I have experience working on cars, but NOT on outboard marine engines, so I'm not sure if this is something a novice should tackle or not. I'm surprised to hear that the fuel consumption is close to normal. I guess I need to cruise a little slower to conserve our fuel. Not too many fuel docks open on a Sunday!! Is taking that lower unit off to check the shift rod a BIG job? Or there any other way to check the shift rod or some other cause? Thanks!!