Should we drill for oil in Alaska?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
The Bush administration wants to open vast areas of untouched and protected Alaska to drill for oil. As a nation, we are presently obliged to get the majority of the fuel we use from foreign sources. It is believed that there are vast quantities of crude under Alaskan soil that could significantly reduce our reliance on other countries to sell us theirs. But then there are Environmental issues to consider and Bush's record on Environmentalism is rather unimpressive.<br /><br />Should we do it?

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Should we drill for oil in Alaska?

I'm sure that it must be possible to drill for oil in such a way that preserves the environment. Oil is very important to mankind...so is the environment. From what I've seen in pictures (never been there), Alaska is a beautiful place and whatever happens, it needs to stay that way.<br /><br />I'd say "yes" on the basis that everything possible is done to preserve the environment up there, while drilling for oil.<br /><br />If America gets another source of oil, then the whole world supply benefits indirectly.

Link

Rear Admiral

Where is that sign that says... Don't Feed the Troll!<br />In our parts of the world its called chumming when related to Fins... :)

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Almost every place I hunt and fish here in Texas has an oil or gas well in full operation on it. The wildlife does not seem to be impacted by the drilling. The biggest impact seems to come from the increase in people because of the roads that are built to service the wells.

D

DJ

and Bush's record on Environmentalism is rather unimpressive.<br />
Who says? The major media and Dan Rather?<br /><br />The proposal in question has minimal enviro impact.<br /><br />Think of it this way.<br /><br />Put a postage stamp in the middle of your living room floor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think it would be more accurate to say, "According to the media and the political left, Bush's record. . . . ".<br /><br />I believe what GW REALLY wants to do is remove some restrictions on what the states can decide to allow on public land. That affects many states, not just AK, and is a natural step in de-federalizing public domain.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I suppose it's a matter of your point of view, DJ. If you favor big business and gutting a number of guidlines pertaining to a clean environment, then Bush's environmental policies could be seen by those people as positive. I think you'll find that the VAST majority of people that put Environment before Big Business see it quite the opposite.<br /><br />You might be suprised to know that I voted Yes. I'd rather it be done on land than out in the ocean. Spring a leak in a marine environment and it spreads over a vast area quickly and uncontrollably. On land it must be close to a million times easier to contain and clean up both monetarily and logistically. I think it can be done responsibly and I highly doubt it would lead to a groundswell of population growth in the area. Maybe more like a few postage stamps on the floor of a WalMart.

oddjob

Commander

Drill Willy. it B-all-Wright.

D

DJ

Spring a leak in a marine environment and it spreads over a vast area quickly and uncontrollably.
I do not totally agree. We've been drilling in marine environs for years. It's the boats that may be an issue. That's easily remedied with double hull tankers.<br /><br />By the way, how much bunker oil do you think has been spilled into the oceans during wartime? One never hears a peep about that. Not to mention there is oil leaking "naturally" into the oceans all the time. <br /><br />We do not hear about those things because it does not fit a political agenda.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Do you guys know the reporting limits for a spill in Alaska? Any quantity spilled is reported. I have seen as little at one quart reported. There are huge fines with these spills so everyone knows how important it is.<br /><br />Trust me, you can drill responsibly. They are already doing it now.<br /><br />As for the roads, it may have some bad impact, but it also may have some good. You will never heard about the good sides from the environmentalists.<br /><br />I like the postage stamp in the living room analogy.<br /><br />Ken

NathanY

Commander

I would rather pay 2.00 for domestic oil/gasoline than 1.65 for foreign. Would rather keep my money in US economy than some Arab or South American economy.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

I would rather drill for oil and kill a whole<br />heard of stupid caribou than give my hard <br />earned $ to any middle east country...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by 62_Kiwi:<br /> I'm sure that it must be possible to drill for oil in such a way that preserves the environment. Oil is very important to mankind...so is the environment. From what I've seen in pictures (never been there), Alaska is a beautiful place and whatever happens, it needs to stay that way.<br /><br />I'd say "yes" on the basis that everything possible is done to preserve the environment up there, while drilling for oil.<br /><br />If America gets another source of oil, then the whole world supply benefits indirectly.
Over here, 62_, things political are seldom what they seem on the surface. As with many subjects, the American Liberals simply glom onto them, to use them, for whatever suits their politacal agenda. <br /><br />Drilling for oil, in Alaska, has nothing to do with the environment. As you say, they are perfectly capable of drilling with minimum impact on the environment. <br /><br />The Liberals simply use this issue to further their designs on power, by bringing the U.S. down to a lower level (on par with the rest of their beloved Wooooooorld) and to reduce the independance of their own citizenry by forcing them out of their independant means of transportation.<br /><br />The Dems are masters at employing lines of reasoning the suck in the well meaning WillyB's of this country.

KennyKenCan

Commander

I agree with MY!<br /><br />Much rather make an American company rich, rather than some ungrateful Midddle Eastern Country richer! <br /><br />And, all the profits from that Alaskan oil would be spent in the American economy, not some other countries economy!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

hey Kenny, how did our priorities get so $crewed<br />up? isn't this really simple stuff?

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is drilling going on in every national forest, grassland and park in Texas. <br /><br />Of course, things may be different here because the federal government had to purchase any land it owns and mineral rights were retained by the original landowners.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> The Bush administration wants to open vast areas of untouched and protected Alaska to drill for oil. As a nation, we are presently obliged to get the majority of the fuel we use from foreign sources. It is believed that there are vast quantities of crude under Alaskan soil that could significantly reduce our reliance on other countries to sell us theirs. But then there are Environmental issues to consider and Bush's record on Environmentalism is rather unimpressive.<br /><br />Should we do it?
I doubt this could have been asked without reference to Bush, huh? Just a simple Poll, no politics? Nah, couldn't have done it...

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The longer it stays under Alaska the more its worth could sort of look at it as a oil piggy bank for your kids.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Drill it, Pump it, Refine it! I need gas to go see one of them endangered species :p