Should I try this??

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Should I try this??

OK, Pointer94 --- You axed for it. Here it is (C&P direct from BFHP, but was me). <br />The following is a true story.<br /><br /><br />Ok, I wasn’t REALLY gonna take Bootz fishin, but after all those responses, and loosing the Evenrude bet, I had to. Saturday morning 3:15am, Bootz wakes me up in usual fashion, using her God-given fish hooks and shrill Siamese-like "meow" to inform me that she wants to go outdoors and kill stuff. I oblige ,like I do every stinkin mornin. Can't be 6am when I must get up for work.NOOOOOO! So I turn on the coffee pot,and click on Fox News channel to see what our beloved state has done to the process till 6. At 6am, I gather my coffee cup, keys and wallet, and start up the truck (boat n tackle preloaded the night before), and go cat hunting. Usually at 6:30am,bootz is in the driveway and sittin in front of my running truck as if asking to be "ironed-out"..I never put the thing in drive till it has some temp reading.Just a habit of mine..No bootz. I called n called, but no furball. I shut off the truck, and sat on the porch sippin coffee. The wife said I sounded like "Boomhuer" on the "King of the Hill" cartoon show (eg.,"thet dangol feline- messed-up boy I tellya. Dangol critter-missin the dangol mornin bite!" ect), sittin there mutterin to myself. Here comes the sun,but it's allright. I waited till 930am,still no bootz. I decided to go bank fishin,and come back later for Bootz. Caught a couple nice juvies,and turned them loose,and came home about 1pm. There she was,sittin in the driveway,as if to say "missed me .Try again". As this was actually just a 'spearment to see if a guy COULD take a cat fishin, I grabbed her up in my arms, rolled-up the windows,and headed for the Alva Ramp. "Mooooew...Meooow" is the only interesting thing she had to say for the whole 10mile trip. Once there, I left her in the truck as I preppped and launched ,tying the boat up to the dock,and brought Bootz down when I parked. Good thing I had the forethought to clip her "fishooks" for only the 2nd time in her 2year life!!! She had other plans, but I held-on tight. I knew if I let her go,I'd never see her again, and like I stated in my first post, I kinda took a shine to her. Well,I un-tied the little 12Footer with one hand,and kicked-on the TM. She kinda bucked,but I had a death grip on her.. I let her go about 80feet out from the dock. She bolted under the bow bench,and just stayed there, tellin me the same story about Meow that she had on the trip. I figured I'd just tool down river on the TM at half-throttle,and see if she calmed-down. About 10 minutes out, I reached down and grabbed her. I held her for about 10 more minutes strokin and counsoling her ,and her trembling did subside . I realesed her, and she looked all around makin a full pan of her situation over and over. She got used to it!!! We trolled for another hour,and outside of a meow or two,she had become confident enough to roam around the boat , first to the front bench, then the bow, and so on. We slowly arived at my first sweet spot, so I cut the TM ,grabbed my lite rod., and gave it a cast. Bootz went to her hidin place under the bench before the lure hit the water.. No luck,so after 15mins, I headed back out into the river. Once out there, I reached around to crank up my lttle merc... Upon the first pull , Bootz JUMPED outta the boat spittin like a baseball player at bat! So I chased her down,grabbed her up, and rolled her up in a towel. I had had enough, and surely, Bootz had too. We went back home. I'll never take her again,but I bet in her little kitty-way, she had a memorable day. I know I did, "dangol flea-bitten...oughta get Hank’s gun, dangol confound rascal there boy I tell ya". <br />I warned you...It was a long story.<br /> Link to my original post <br />WoW! I haven't been on that site since 2000!!<br /><br />Follow-up: Bootz the cat dissapeared in December of 2001. We think a gator got her, as she prefered canal water to tap water, and would drink from the bank,while gators stared-on.<br />She probably died as she lived...Fearless of everything but boats, noise and motion not of her own making. She is missed.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

12Footer, Thats a great story, but the wife and I are really going to try it.<br /><br />I hear alot of ya'll talking about taking your dogs with ya'll, well my brother took his dog (50 lb. mutt) out on boat, dog didn't like motor noise, Brother stopped boat to fish, Big dog jumped out of boat to swim, Dog sank like a rock, brother jumped in to save dog and load wet dog in boat. <br /><br />At least if I have to jump in to save cat it will only be less than a pound

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

You have to do it very gradually. Use a good pet carrier that is fairly large, make sure there is food, water, blanket, and litter. Take the kitten in the carrier to the boat. The first few times you should not actually drive the boat anywhere, just let it float and let the cat get used to the motion. The next few times run the motor but do not go anywhere. You should also do a lot of driving in your car with the cat in the carrier. Let it get used to the sensation and sounds of motorized travel. Make sure you do these things as early in life as possible. Cats adapt to boats just fine, but it takes work and patience. Never allow it to become a negative thing. No yelling or anything like that. Eventually you'll be able to let the cat free in the boat. Look into getting an adjustable cat PFD, I am sure they exist, there are ones for dogs. Do not harness or tie it up in the boat. It will freak out because it will feel trapped. Good luck...

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Finally got our new baby last week. Couldn't make it out to the lake last week since I was on call. But tomorrow is the big day. We've introduced the kitten to the boat, turned the motor over and it didn't phase her at all. Maybe all will go well.(I hope)

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

It all went alot better than expected. At first we had Tabatha In her pet carrier for the boat launch. She did feel trapped at that moment, but as soon as we were under way we took her out of her carrier. She was all wide eyed looking at all the water. After a few moments she relaxed somewhat.<br /><br />We got to our fishing spot, anchored off and let Tabatha have the run of the boat. She soon got bored with checking out new surroundings in the boat and started grabbing the wifes fishing line. I took a bobber, hooked some line to it and tied that to the dash. With the rocking of the boat it kept her occupied untill she got tired and fell asleep for about 30 minutes. <br /><br />The highlite of the evening was when I caught a small Bass and let Tabatha look at it. She did not want any thing to do with the fish.<br /><br />All in all the evening went much better than expected, No need for the first aid kit.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Very cool Cajun!!! Glad to hear all went well.See if she will wear a tiny life jacket.There is actually a beer can holder at Boaters world shaped like a foam water ski life jacket that may fit the little one.We have a small dog life jacket that my cat wears around the house sometimes.We are getting her used to it before we try what you have done successfully.Charlie