Should I try this??

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer
This should probally be posted under "Stupid Human Tricks" so JB if you need to move this, so be it. <br /><br />The wife wants to get a kitten and she has plans to take it out on the boat with us. Now the kitten is 6 weeks old. Any ideas, should I get a heavy duty first aid kit for the wife, or for that matter, both of us? I think it would look cool skimming across the water with a kitty cat perched up on the bow. <br /><br />Any input welcomed.

NathanY

Commander
Re: Should I try this??

Please send pics of this to I gotta see this. Would like before and after pics too. :p

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I take my dog, why not a cat? Might want to watch the uphostry.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

First of all declaw or take plenty of bandages with you. I'm a cat person, but no way would my Junior be taken out on the boat with us. Less stress is best.<br />Good luck and I would love to know how it works for you.<br />Bassy

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget to bring the burlap bag, the brick and a tie wrap! :p

LubeDude

Admiral

What part of " CATS DONT LIKE WATER" dont you understand??? :eek:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Some cats love water. My sister's two cats used to jump in the bathtub, and the pool. She had to leash them up, when on the boat because she wasn't sure if they would jump into the lake. They would stand up, nose in the wind while underway, then curl up and sleep while fishing. They used to try to catch the minnows from the lake at the launch.<br /><br />Don't feed the kitten just before you head out, or it may get seasick.<br /><br />Just take a small pet carrier onboard. If it freaks out too much, put ot in the carrier.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Don't forget to bring the burlap bag, the brick and a tie wrap! :p
ROFLOL :D :D <br /><br />Well we have 4 little 4 month old kits. And they start crying very loudly until they see the harness coming towards them. They love being outside in the big ole world and adapted to being on a leash very quickly.. 5 minutes maybe<br /><br />Please do keep us posted with before and after pics :p

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you are going to take the kitten out on the boat, it is best to start them early in life so they can get used to the wind and sounds that they will hear while on board.<br /><br />They will find them a place that they like on the boat and that will be where they will stay 99% of the time.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the positive and the not so positive feed back. The wife and I arn't really dog people and the wife wants a kitten. We plan on starting the kitten out in the boat real young. We planned on a pet carrier just in case. She will have to bathe the cat regular since I'm allergic to them. I just hopes it works out, if not striper bait it is.<br /><br />Were going to try this in a couple of weeks. Will keep ya'll posted.

SpinnerBait_Nut

If you go to a pet carrier, you might as well start it out in one, if not, you will have a very sad and mad kitten on your hands and it will do nothing but let you know about it too.<br /><br />Cage train it is what I call it.<br />That's what I do with my rott puppies if I plan on taking them anywhere with me.<br /><br />Just a thought.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

If you want a cat that isn't ordinary, get a male Siamese. They are a hoot and a half, and very people oriented. I've had several in my lifetime. My wife's Siamese took a while to warm up to me, but now I can't walk past him without him saying "hi" (mmrrooooww). He loves to be handled and rough-housed. I regularly "beat him up" and toss him across the room onto a bed, and he runs back to me for more...he can't get enough!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

For the love of God...Don't do it, man!!!<br />I had to take my cat fishing once after loosing a bet. It's physically painfull, and painful to watch. And the cat will not stay in the boat. It's a long story, so I won't go into detail (gotta go to werk). But take my word for it...Cats and boats do not mix, and the cat, if it lives, will never be the same after the experiance.

SpinnerBait_Nut

On a sidenote, how is the best way to keep cats out of a boat?

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Why?!? Because the cat is cute, and we want to take him with you? Because the cat is part of your life, so lets introduce him to all aspects of your life? Because the cat might get lonely at home?<br /><br />Lets look at the opposite point of view, from the cat's point of view.<br /><br />Cats do not like water, they do not like motion, and they do not like noise, all of which are present on a boat. The cat will not enjoy himself on the boat, why would you force it? Isn't that torture? It's like those parents that force their kids to play sports when the child doesn't want to. Isn't it kind of cruel to force your cat into something it doesn't want to do, and won't enjoy?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

12Footer,<br /><br />WE WANT THE WHOLE STORY!!!!!!! :D :D :confused:

ndemge

Commander

captaincat.jpg

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Cajun,my wife and I have been planning the same thing.I have had many cats and what I can tell you for sure is that there are some cats that will find it interesting and probably love it and there are cats that will do anything possible to get the heck out of there and never trust you again.Starting as early as you plan to is crucial to any success.Your best chance at this will be with a Maine-coon cat.They are much nore dog-like than cat.They are the type that want to do things with you rather than watch from a distance.Our cat has had an easy time adapting to a harness when she goes out.I should not even say adapt because she has never been outside without a harness.She knows when the harness comes out its time to run to the back door to go outside in the yard.We have a runner for her from the house to a retaining wall.I would just take the kitty to hang out on the boat for a few times before you go anywhere.She will have to first trust the surroundings before you can take it to the next step.They vet can give you a mild tranquilizer in case she freaks out. good luck Charlie