Should I pour foam in this Lund?

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I can't make up my mind on this.:( I like the idea of just using gulvit on the hull and then filling it with foam. Should stiffen the hull, deaden any sounds, and not melt if gas is spilt.

But, it will also be hard to keep the drains open front to back. Water could get trapped. It will be tough to get to loose rivets or reseal with gulvit for future repairs. It will need a lot of foam. The rear five cavities are 68" wide, 9-10" deep, 14" on center. The front five are 13" deep in the center.

So should I?

Or do I use something else like blue board from one of the box stores? I plan to own the boat long term.

ATT00329.jpg

ATT00319.jpg

i386

Captain
Re: Should I pour foam in this Lund?

It's up to you. It will make future repairs more difficult. I have seen some aluminum boats with foam poured into trash bags so that it fills the voids but doesn't stick to anything. I don't have any experience with this personally so ymmv. It's a tough call for sure.

je1ff

Recruit

Just ran into this this weekend. Bought 94 Bass Tracker. ripped up deck to replace. While open I filled with water to check for leaks. Found that over the years, the foam had worked down into center channel, making draining slow, or in some bays no draining at all. have to push foam back towards hull and find a way to keep from sliding down. Something to consider.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

shaggy, imho, i would think the foam to be a waist of time and money....

the hull will be strong reguardless....after the gluvit, the boat will be sealed.....

thats aluminimum, so your just screwing down the deck.
if you want to sound proof. try running rubber...(pond liner) on top of the frames and stringers, ...pre drill it then add the deck....

ittl cut your noise by 50 %......

foan will have benifets you will never see or feel. but it will in a short time have to come out, and youll be cursing your self for putting it in,

if you want flotation.....read the wet foam prevention thread, and ues one of the ideas there.

cheers bud
oops

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just Can't justify pouring foam in it. I might use a combination of some of the ideas I have read on iboats. A mix of blue and pink board foam and some pool noodles. Might even try a couple 2 liter bottls full of great stuff by the drains to keep the foam off the botom of the hull. Shaggy