Should I buy an OMC Sunbird?

kneal

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 22, 2005
Messages
3
I'm looking at a '97 Sunbird 170 with a 4cyl. GM motor, volvo penta outrigger (inboard/outboard)<br /><br />It is in emmaculate condition - starts and sounds great. <br /><br />He's asking $ 6,250.<br /><br />I've been told by the local marine store that since the boat is not made anymore, I won't be able to find parts for it or anyone to work on it.<br /><br />Any info would be greatly appreciated. I don't know anything about boats - this would be my first one, but I don't want to buy one that I can't use or sell.<br /><br />Thanks!
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: Should I buy an OMC Sunbird?

Lots of boats and motors are not made any longer, but they still get used/fixed/sold.<br /><br />As far as the boat goes, most companies never did have parts available.<br /><br />You should be able to get parts for the motor and outdrive though.<br /><br />Hire a technician/mechanic to go over the boat, motor, and outdrive. Take it for a test drive.<br /><br />No test drive, no purchase.
 

Bondo

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 17, 2002
Messages
71,533
Re: Should I buy an OMC Sunbird?

You Might want to Keep Looking,.............<br /><br />1)... OMC is Out Of Business,.....Parts,+ Techs willing to work on them Are getting Scarce.......<br /><br />2) Sunbirds are Another Entry Level boat,...... Right Up there with Bilgeliners........<br />(Maybe it's Right DOWN there with Bilgeliners :D )<br /><br />3) $6300.00 Isn't an Entry Level Price for a 1997 Boat...............<br /><br /><br />There's Tons of Boats Out There,.........<br />Find 1 with a Volvo, or Mercruiser Power,........<br />You'll be Happier,.... Longer............
 

kneal

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 22, 2005
Messages
3
Re: Should I buy an OMC Sunbird?

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep searching.
 

MichaelMullis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Sep 18, 2003
Messages
131
Re: Should I buy an OMC Sunbird?

okaw, my brother had a 19' sunbird with the same engine. Look for another boat! The boat was cheaply made and he was always havinng to work on something.
 

kneal

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 22, 2005
Messages
3
Re: Should I buy an OMC Sunbird?

That's all I need to hear. Thanks a million!
 

migue

Seaman Apprentice
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
47
Re: Should I buy an OMC Sunbird?

Definitely overpriced I got my 97 Sunbird for half of that. and yes it is an entry level boat but it does what it is supossed to do
 
Top