Should I buy a boat with hull blisters?

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got my eye on a really clean 2003 18' Larson bowrider. Went to look at it ,and everything was mint, right up to the point when I looked at the hull. I noticed that there were a few nickel sized spots where the gel coat was missing. Then I noticed there were a few blisters on each side of the hull the size of a silver dollar.

Am I asking for trouble here? I'm not scared to do some light hull repair work, as I have done this in the past, but I'm concerned about a systemic issue with blisters throughout the hull. The rest of the boat is literally immaculate. Could be a big negotiation point, but I'm not sure what I'm up against. Never dealt with this before.

Thanks.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: Should I buy a boat with hull blisters?

I guess now you know why the fellow is trying to unload his problem on someone else.

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess now you know why the fellow is trying to unload his problem on someone else.

He's an older guy that said he uses it 2-3 times per season, and it sits in the water the rest of the time.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

I see those boats all the time. You know the ones that just sit in the water year around and are never used. I would run as fast as possible. No telling what problems lurk underneath the surface. Which brings me to why in the heck would you leave a boat that small sitting in the water if you were only going to use a few times a year.

Thalasso

Commander

If you are interested in it, have it surveyed by a competent surveyor.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You like it because it's "mint" and "immaculate." It won't be when you get finished grinding out dozens of blisters!

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You like it because it's "mint" and "immaculate." It won't be when you get finished grinding out dozens of blisters!

The interior is mint and immaculate, as well as the engine. It's painful to see a beautiful boat have those issues.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Many people don't realize that boat's aren't waterproof! Sitting in the water is why it blistered. Blisters can be fixed, but I'd never attempt it myself. You might call around and see what a repair shop or two would charge to do the job. Then take those numbers to the seller and haggle, assuming you're okay with getting it fixed--

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Many people don't realize that boat's aren't waterproof! Sitting in the water is why it blistered. Blisters can be fixed, but I'd never attempt it myself. You might call around and see what a repair shop or two would charge to do the job. Then take those numbers to the seller and haggle, assuming you're okay with getting it fixed--

I'm a little confused by this, as many boats are slipped all season with never any blister issues. Does regular running of the boat in water change the vulnerability of blistering?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

He's an older guy that said he uses it 2-3 times per season, and it sits in the water the rest of the time.

Aye, there's the rub!

It wasn't prepared properly for in-water storage. If he didn't know that much, what else didn't he know about?

matt167

Captain

I'm a little confused by this, as many boats are slipped all season with never any blister issues. Does regular running of the boat in water change the vulnerability of blistering?

Moored boats need bottom paint, because gelcoat is not waterproof. Protection from marine life also. Trailer boats are not as suceptible because they go in for 2-3 days or so and then come out and dry off. Water does not have a chance to penetrate the gelcoat and fiberglass

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Sits in a slip absorbing water through the gelcoat. Once in it is trapped. If the only problem is what you describe could be guaranteed it would not be a huge deal. The blisters could be an indication of a larger problem lurking. Nothing that cannot be repaired but the purchase would have to be a real deal!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You are already emotionally involved with the boat. STOP! Would you buy a car with, say, known transmission problems but the seats are excellent?

No boat needs to be bought. Walk away from this one. There will be another one coming along.

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are already emotionally involved with the boat. STOP! Would you buy a car with, say, known transmission problems but the seats are excellent?

No boat needs to be bought. Walk away from this one. There will be another one coming along.

Thanks to all for the input. I appreciate your comments here Frank. You are right. I think I have my answer.

tpenfield

Staff member

You are doing the right thing . . . as the blisters you described seem to be fairly large. The trouble with blisters is that you do not fully know the extent of the problem, only the ones that have matured and are visible. With advanced blisters, there are probably others coming along.

Is this boat moored/slipped in Winnipesaukee? I suspect in your continued search you will possibly run into more boats with some extent of blisters. So, you may end up with a judgement call.

In my search for a boat last year, I ran into a couple of boats with blisters . . . both seasonally slipped in fresh water, no barrier coat or anything for protection.

One boat had a massive case of blisters, so I passed. . . The other had an emerging case, as blisters were few and just starting to show. This was during the pre-purchase survey. During the haul-out, the surveyor and I were looking at some gray discoloration spots of the algae film on the hull. Although the hull was smooth and hard, I suggested to the surveyor that these discoloration spots were perhaps the early stages of blistering. He took a closer look and sure enough, they were.

I did buy the boat, because in total it was a good deal. The blisters became a negotiation point.

If the blistering were more advanced, I probably would have passed.

Last edited:

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Actually Blistering is caused when the boat is made and then shows up later when in the water. This was very common in the 90's and several boats in our Marina had them.
That was in Michigan in the 90's.