Should I buy-2002 Sea Ray 240 Sundancer

Searaymaybe

Recruit
Hi all, I am looking for some advice for a first time boat owner. The boat in question is through consignment through a dealer. Dealer has it checked out and stated there is 3-4 inches in play in the gimble ring which is about a $4000 fix because mercruiser bravo III will need to be taken out. Other issues include new wiring for trim gage and small gouges in the hull below the water line where it will need to be filled. The gauges do not hit the fiberglass. Also quite a bit of corrosion on outdrive and prop. What are your thoughts on whether to buy it. The mechanic claims we have 3-4 years left in the play before we need to fix but just unsure after a bit of research. With the other issues not sure if it is worth it. However with the age and the numerous private buyers, it is nice to know the issues up front. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
First, Welcome aboard

second, the Mechanic is lying as he wants to sell the boat

third, if its just the tiller arm fix, pull the drive, the kit is fairly cheap and do it yourself

as far as the corrosion, most likely the boat sat in the water a long time. and that was salt water.

if the drive shows that much corrosion, when was the last time the exhaust manifolds were replaced?

the boat itself is not bad, however it could be one bad manifold away from you paying for a new motor. My bud went thru a failed manifold and new motor on his 2004 240SD about 4 years ago

I would consider this boat a project boat. if you have to pay for someone to work on a project boat, then the boat will become a money pit

I personally recommend an aluminum boat with an outboard for first time buyers.

flashback

Captain
Your not gonna like how it handles with 3 or 4 inches of slop..Heed the above post from Scott, and will add that the tinny and an outboard motor may be the best choice for a last time buyer as well..