Should Government Interfere and what Party Serves US Best?

--GQ--

Chief Petty Officer
Since our Independence in 1776, our country, the United States has undergone many changes. Some of these changes have benefited us and some have harmed us. Those that has benefited us, we tend to keep and preserve for future references. those that harmed us, we try to learn from our mistakes. But most important of all these changes is our economic system. From Social Darwinism to Laissez Faire we been through it all. If it hadn't been for this great historical event we would not be where we are today. <br /><br />In the late 1800's many people believed that competitions was the basis of survival. They believed that only the "strong and most fittest" will survive in this growing economy. This belief is based on Social Darwinism, derived from Charles R Darwin, the father of Evolution. Such idea sat on the notion that individual should be able to own and operate their business in any way they can to produce quality products to compete with their competitors. Though for business to happen, the strong must and will survive. But ask yourself why should it be at the expense of the " unfitted" poor. Isn't poverty already enough that an individual is unfit for society? Why should businesses continues to grow while at the same time make the poor poorer? Why should big businesses get all the representations while the common people get misrepresentation? And why do politicians choose to favor big businesses over the common people? Do they have something to offer? Is it the revolving door, "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" mentality? With all these problems and complications the theory of Social Darwinism slowly declined in the early 1900's. A new system took place.<br /><br />With the failed system of the prior years, the American people believed that the proper role of the government was to promote, not regulate the economy. They thought that the government should have no influence on the economy and the order of things will be more productive if they left businesses alone. A commitment to laissez faire. A system by which an individual should be able to make decisions concerning their own well being. Although, many people and politicians supported the idea and agreed with the policies and was soon accepted into the American social life. However critics argued that this "free enterprise system" fails to solve social and economic problems that resulted from it. The poor are being neglected. Eventually, congress began to pass laws and regulations as an attempt to solve this dilemma. Soon the idea of Laissez Faire lost faith and was no longer accepted. Which leads us to the next chapter of our economic sole searching.<br /><br />Our economy is like a ferris wheel, it is forever spinning. The idea is to keep it spinning at a constant rate by sometime spinning it faster or slow it down. Though at times it is subjected to unpredictable experiences. The jump from Social Darwinism to Laissez Faire to what we have today will serve as a corner stone to American's economy. Do we need government intervention in the economy? certainly, but to where do we stop? When the solution serves the unfortunates to an acceptable standard. You do realize, when a human species failed to compete to survive, he or she will not walk over to a corner and die quietly. Destruction will sure to follow. All and all, government intervention is good. Without government interferences those who are "unfit" will take extreme measures to survive, that is robbing and stealing. Death maybe the result. For these reasons, government should interfere so that the overall population may benefit and social order maybe a reality. <br /><br />What party promote these kind of policies? Need I say it?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Should Government Interfere and what Party Serves US Best?

You have to have some balance. Govt needs to stay hands off as much as possible, but they cant stay hands off and let everything go into the gutter.<br /><br />We rely on the govt to buffer the highs and lows. Make the lows not so low and the highs not so high.<br /><br />It has worked great for the last 50 yrs or so.<br /><br />Ken

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

It's the battling/compromising between parties that keeps the country going. If either had their way all the time, we'd be in dire straits.<br /><br />WAIT A MINNIT! The Republican Party is in charge right now and getting their way all the time. And we're DEFINATELY in Dire Straits! :eek: <br /><br />Nuff said. ;)

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by --GQ--:<br /> What party promote these kind of policies? Need I say it?
No, you don’t need to say it, I will. The party that supports the contorted ideals you alluded to is the communist party, or today also known as the democrats.<br /><br />Hey! Come on, GQ, you knew that was coming.<br /> :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

I am not able to say that Libertarian business philosophies are best, because left totally unchecked, Big Business will run amok. With that said, modern Republicans are closest to the principles that allow small businesses to thrive. IMHO, thriving small businesses are critical and required for the well being of the American (and ultimately the world's) people, be they rich or poor.

Twidget

Commander

WAIT A MINNIT! The Republican Party is in charge right now and getting their way all the time. And we're DEFINATELY in Dire Straits!
I will take this over the Carter terror of the late 70's. :p :)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

To quote a famous democrat,<br /><br />Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The government should be diminished to it's original intent, as outlined in the preamble;<br />ergo;<br />"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America" --- Outside of that, notta.

--GQ--

Chief Petty Officer

So 12footz, simple answer, should government interfere to promote prosperity for all? I have a point to make.

Twidget

Commander

I guess that would depend on your definition of 'interfere' and 'promote prosperity'. The welfare state hasnt seemed to deliver as promised.<br /><br />Why not make your point?

18rabbit

Captain

Welfare is a form of gov't imposed redistribution of wealth. Not a good thing, no matter how you spin it.

Twidget

Commander

I couldnt agree more.

rottenray6402

Ensign

GQ, there is nothing Government can do to ensure prosperity for all. That was the theory of communism, to each according to his needs, from each according to his abilities. It sounds great in theory but it doesn't take into account human nature which needs to struggle and achieve in order to have self worth. We will always have poor people and we will always have rich people because of different desires and perceptions. It doesn't matter how much wealth distribution goes on there will always be people working and people taking whatever they can get. One big concern I have is in the USA is we will in the near future have as many or more taking as producing. Government has never created anything to add to the economy, businesses are the ones that create jobs, products, and taxes to pay for the social programs and wealth distribution.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Anybody ever tried Hatch Green Chili?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

What exactly was the point of all this??? :confused: :D <br /><br />RF does that come with sour cream????

Twidget

Commander

So 12footz, simple answer, should government interfere to promote prosperity for all? I have a point to make.<br />
Heck if I know. I asked him to make his point and he hasn't been seen since. :)

--GQ--

Chief Petty Officer

Hmmm, I leave you at the helm for a day and we're heading straight for shallow reefs. Well as a captain imma hafta take control. Abandon ship everyone!<br /><br />On a serious note, all the political Heavy Weight hasn't weight in yet. Hmmm I wonder. Dodging the question like they did in Nam :D . Folks, this is not a draft. It's OK to come out!<br /><br />My point is this; when considering what is most important to us, we are on the same page. All of you that agree government should in some way intervene our daily business in order to promote prosperity and maintain social order are all Democrats. Yes my Conservative, Independant, Communist friends; you are a Democrat. However, our opinions differ when you mix in Side Shows such as Gay Marriage, Religions and Fear of the Unknown. Politicians are skillful at this. Don't be fooled. I am not suggesting that you vote Democrat. I am merely trying to find common ground. We are in this together. Who ever you vote for has no bearing on me, but consider the "REAL" issues when you do in 08. Rock the vote!.<br /><br /><br />18,(rabbit,duck, same thing. no different) you had to do it huh. You tipped them off. You remind me of the blonde that broke up Van Halen. Darn home breaker! :D

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by 18rabbit:<br />
Originally posted by --GQ--:<br /> What party promote these kind of policies? Need I say it?
No, you don’t need to say it, I will. The party that supports the contorted ideals you alluded to is the communist party, or today also known as the democrats.<br /><br />Hey! Come on, GQ, you knew that was coming.<br /> :D
I was going to put it a LOT Nicer!<br />But you nailed it. 18rabbit<br />Oh forgot the smiley face! :) NOT! ;)