Short to Long Transom...Why Even Make a Short?

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have a couple questions and just want to open a discussion on this subject.

I have a 16' Lund WC aluminum V-hull utility boat with a 15" transom. It's nothing fancy but it's my fishing/crabbing machine. It's equipped with a 15hp longshaft Suzuki motor mounted on a 6" riser block attached to the transom. I am planning to upgrade to a 25hp 4stroke (50lbs more) in the near future. I know the riser block I have won't hold the new engine. I am trying to figure out if I want to keep it a short transom or build a long transom out on the boat. That leads me to my questions.

1. Why do the boat manufacturers even make short transom boats? The gunnels on my boat are even with the back corners. The rear is basically cut down 5" across the back to accommidate a short shaft engine. Wouldn't this restrict the water or waves your boat can be in? If it was 5" taller would I not be as likely to get swamped?

2. If I were to build a new transom, how should I go about doing so? Should I use marine grade plywood, aluminum, or some other product? I will be using my boat in fresh and saltwater.

3. Being that my boat is a 2000, should I be concerned about the extra 50lbs that the 4 strokes have over the 2 stroke counterparts. My boat is rated for 25hp but is that for a 2 or 4 stroke engine?

I just want to get some ideas on this before I go out and spend $3000 or so on a new engine.