Shoreline anchoring … how much room?

Rick Byers

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Shoreline anchoring … how much room?

Hey phatmanmike When I anchor my boat close to someone elses i like to leave at least the lenght of my boat plus about 6ft or so.. But aanchor one end and tie the other off on shore.

Dunaruna

Admiral

When I anchor for the night ( deep water coastal) I leave my boat length plus 20ft plus estimated tidal drop times 2. Some idiot always tries to squeeze in late at night. <br /><br />Aldo

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Back to the core:<br /><br />I think it is in every boater's own best interest to protect his investment (and thereby other's ditto) by taking the greatest care when anchoring. Be it near other boats, piers or whatever.<br /><br />Personally I stay well away from any possible scratches:<br /><br />Always look if others use both front and rear anchors as this decides if they do or do not move with wind/current. If all do, the distance between boats will remain approx the same. <br /><br />Also try to detect the length of their anchor rope/chain as this has great effect on the amount of movement.<br /><br />If all but one drifts, this one needs extra distance.<br /><br />As a measure of extra protection all should hang out fenders.<br /><br /> Finally a note on PWC's: Over here they're forbidden by law unless in dedicated areas/tracks well away from beaches and traffic. <br /><br />Besides safety, one of the main reasons is environment (noise).

dwci97

Seaman

I never drifted off the main subject. I replied that pwc have no idea how to shoreline anchor. I said that in a round about way refering to the fact that they no nothing about boating in any aspect. I will go out on a limb and say that MOST pwc owners dont even own an anchor or carry one in the pwc, let alone know how to anchor off the shoreline. <br /><br />As far as Mr. Byers situation, I dont doubt for a minute that you are responsible on your pwc. If I am ever out your way I will take you up on that offer for a soda. I didnt mean for this topic to take a hostile turn.

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer

Mike, the thing I see most people forgetting to calculate is the length of thier boat, and the tide.<br /><br />And if you read my post, you will see that I was not slamming ALL PWC'ers.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

You could get an aluminum boat. Then they'll all anchor well away from you.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys, what the hell is a troll???<br /><br /> ;) ;) ;) Jim

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

Troll=Board surfer whose only intentions are to cuase trouble and flame wars.

wally jr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lolol, to the original question..there is no rule. you must "protect your investment and have coutesy for others" in other words...common sense...

jmeydenbauer

Seaman Apprentice

A few other notes about this. The PWC'ers weren't hooligans. This was a couple in their early 40's with 2 children. They had newer waterbikes and a nice motorhome. They weren't tearing up the lake or acting like a-holes, they just anchored very close to my boat.<br /><br />I wasn't really worried about my boat being damaged. The rub rail on the PWC wouldn't do much to my boat which is older and looks a little beat-up. I was more worried about his PWC as my swimstep brackets were hitting his gelcoat. <br /><br />I was interested if my swimstep put a hole in his PWC, if I could be held liable. I wouldn't think so since I was there first and he anchored so close. Although my boat drifts some with the wind, I would expect that this should be allowed for and failing to do so would put any damage caused by our boats hitting, his full responsibility? Do you guys agree with this?<br /><br />Surely at some point an excessively drifting boat would have to be held liable for damages but at what point would it be considered excessive ... 1 boat length, 2 boat leangths, or what??

phatmanmike

Captain

now im curious again, why would they not want to anchor near an uluminum boat..... i have an aluminum and 2 fiberglass boats, and have noticed no difference whether wich one i use

jmeydenbauer

Seaman Apprentice

When I read the aluminum boat thing, a boat with metal spikes welded to the sides came to mind ... like something you might see in a Mad Max movie. lol

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

The Coasties and sheriffs' boats in this area all have a 24" aluminum device with "teeth" attached to their bows just at water line. The "teeth" are angled downward, and are used to grasp logs and other debris to push them out of the channels.<br />Besides working well, they do have a Mad Max flare to them....perfect for so many other uses, as well.....arrghhhh, matey!

Arnold96

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It appears that part of the problem of your boat "drifting" was the scope. In a lake 4 or 5 to 1 is overkill unless you are expecting a hurricane. I anchor at Shackleford Banks and boats are often only 5-10' apart. The bow anchor is usually no more than 3-1 and the stern anchor maybe 5-1 just due to it being so shallow. If the correct anchor is used the boats don't move around much at all even with a very swift current there. Unless there is weather so bad you don't need to be on the water, the less you have out the less it will move around. Yeah the PWC guys that anchored underneath you were jerks.....<br /><br />As for PWC "riders" I always raise the trim and slow to 2000 RPM and make a 3 foot wave for them. Who knows. At the end of the day there may be one less of them to deal with... ;)

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

FWIW... I watch the PWC riders just like all the other watercraft that operate here in the Columbia River... and they are more reckless and inconsiderate than the regular boats around them. Brainless and rude would be how I'd describe them.