FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I have the lower unit apart on my 65' 9.5HP and I am wondering how to go about getting the brass bushing out that sits on top of the shift shaft seal? The only way I see getting it out is by some sort of slide hammer set up.
You can just knock it out with a 5/16" rod. That's all the special tool is, except they turn the end to 1/4" as a pilot. Using a plain rod may bugger up the hole a bit but you can clean it up with a round file.
I was able to get the bushing out by taking a piece of 5/16 rod 10" long and turning about one inch of it down to .248". It pushed right out no problem there is not much of a press on the bushing.
No, there is not a need for it to be too tight. If you think it may be too loose, you can strike it lightly with a mallet and give it a litlle flair at the bottom.
How much play should there be between the shaft and the bushing. I am thinking mine might have to much. I can see if there is excessive play how it would leak past the o ring.
They really aren't as close a fit as one would imagine they should be. They sort of rely on the fatness of the o-ring to absorb any lateral movement. There is a of of sand and grit gets dumped into that area and I would suppose a real close fit would invite grit to lock it up....Like the early McCulloch / Elgins did. But let's not get me started on that one.