Shift shaft bushing removal and install

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ciao from Italy my friends ,
we have found water leak in my bellows, mechanic changed my bellows, gimball and now I need to change shift shaft seal bushing.

1635882485239.png

1635882460385.png
My question is: to remove and install the bushing back to the housing, do I have to press it in in which direction? From below to the top or top to down? Is it the difference?
Also the seals, should the spring be faced upward for both?
Also, for the upper bushing + seals, is it better to install bushing then seals? or seals then bushing?
Thank you for all your help
ciao!

That bushing/seal kit has been redesigned. That photo you have posted is of the older poorer design.

See this other link: https://forums.iboats.com/threads/alpha-one-upper-shift-shaft-upper-seal-5-8-not-3-4.670825/

or this one:

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mine drive is from 2004 Ive removed 2 brass and 2 orings as in 1 picture

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Mine drive is from 2004 Ive removed 2 brass and 2 orings as in 1 picture
Normally you would just remove the seals and leave the brass bushings on place (they rarely need to be replaced)... To install new bushings, use an 8mm nut and bolt and a few washers, and use them like a press. You can then install the seals the same way.

Chris

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am glad Ive got the right one, I have a little play in the shaft so I think the bushing is worn or maybe seals only but it's good to replace it anyway.
Can anyone tell me how to install the bushings? Push it in from below and install same way or from top to the bottom? Does it even matter?
Lip seals will facing upwards? ("springs facing up") ??
How far to push the lip seals into the bellhousing? Does it stopps at the brass bushing??

Thanks for all tips

achris

I am glad Ive got the right one, I have a little play in the shaft so I think the bushing is worn or maybe seals only but it's good to replace it anyway.
A little play is normal. You'll find that even with the new one.
Can anyone tell me how to install the bushings? Push it in from below and install same way or from top to the bottom?
I push them in from below.
Lip seals will facing upwards? ("springs facing up") ??
Yes. And it's easier to install the seals into the (upper) bushing before you put the bushing in the housing.
How far to push the lip seals into the bellhousing? Does it stopps at the brass bushing??
Yes. And apply grease between the seals before you install the upper shift shaft.

Chris.....

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do You mean to install seals before bushing? I was thinking to install upper bushing first, flush it with the top then from the bottom push the seals as much to be seatead against bushing. Correct me if i am wrong.
ciao

achris

I was thinking to install upper bushing first, flush it with the top then from the bottom push the seals as much to be seatead against bushing. Correct me if i am wrong.
ciao
That is correct.

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ciao again, During the weekend we replaced seals, springs, lips facing up , is that correct?
Like this,
1636221694732.png

after pressure testing we found leak in upper driveshaft seal, I have 1 seal only but on the internet there is info that there were 2 seals also right? I think i have never version.
Do I have to remove the upper part to replace that seal top cover, then push yoke and all the stuff or I can just remove and install it again from the side of the impeller? I dont know the proper name I am sorry
1636221213263.png

Ciao my friends

Last edited:

achris

The double replaces the 2 singles... And yes, the yoke and bearing pack, and the upper driveshaft need to come out. That double seal gets install from 'above'...

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Grazie mille! Please tell me, to replace the yoke oil seal and oring, do I have to really separate the bearings before setting rolling torque?
I have torque dial wrench thats no problem but I am afraid of separating bearings.... I read method of punching with brass hammer what Don_S said but im not sure...
how about bearing separator? But what part has to be separated? pic appreciated!
The double replaces the 2 singles... And yes, the yoke and bearing pack, and the upper driveshaft need to come out. That double seal gets install from 'above'...
OK i will hammer it with some socket and extensions, is that OK?? Dont have installer tool
Ciao

Last edited:

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank You or maybe You have better idea for press that seal for DIY?
Im studying manual 14 and Ive found step about removing
the driven gear bearing cup and shim is that needed for oil seal replacement??

achris

You don't need to remove the cup and shim.

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank You, Come to Italy You have to try our pasta! Also Help with yoke seal will be appreciated in other thread

achris

Thank You, Come to Italy You have to try our pasta! Also Help with yoke seal will be appreciated in other thread
My wife and I ski in Italy each year, up at Dolomites... Where are you?