Shift rods out of alignment?

t-osu

Cadet
Hi all,
Well I've been on quite a journey if you've read my other posts. My 1979 35hp johnson keeps jumping from forward to neutral. I checked my cables and they seem fine, or I wasn't checking them right. I then took apart the lower unit to check the dog clutch and discovered my gears were crap so I ordered a used lower unit and it's in good condition. I put it all together to discover what I think will lead to the same problem.

So, I have the lower unit in neutral, I'm spinning it and I know it's for sure in neutral, but for the shift rod connector (which I always keep connected to the upper shift rod then move it using the shift lever to connect to the lower rod) to get it into the right groove for the lower shift rod, I have to move the gear selector more so on the forward side.
I attached a few bad drawings to illustrate.
Any ideas why this would be?
Appreciate any advice,

Attachments

• shifting issues.png
    shifting issues.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 4

tphoyt

Ensign
Sorry but I have to ask.
It sounds like your lining up right but just to be sure you are lining it up so the bolt goes through the detent in the shift rod correct? And is the top lined up correctly as well?

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
there is a count of turns you have to set the shift rod that comes out of the gearbox , from memory there is also a measurement as well.
once this is all set up you should get smooth shifting FNR.
i don't have the manual with me ATm to give you the setting.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A 79 model 35 HP may not be involved in the " setting the shift rod height " scheme of things.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I doubt that any 2 cylinder 35 HP models used a shift rod height adjustment.-----Other than the lower shift rod must be fully screwed into the yoke.

t-osu

Cadet
Sorry but I have to ask.
It sounds like your lining up right but just to be sure you are lining it up so the bolt goes through the detent in the shift rod correct? And is the top lined up correctly as well?
Yes, I look through as I'm moving the upper rod towards the lower rod using the shift lever and make sure that the little groove/detent in the lower shift rod is lined up to where the bolt has to fit into, and the top is doing the same as well. I usually can't get the bolt through unless it is aligned with the shift rod groove/detent.

there is a count of turns you have to set the shift rod that comes out of the gearbox , from memory there is also a measurement as well.
once this is all set up you should get smooth shifting FNR.
i don't have the manual with me ATm to give you the setting.
That's what I thought, but from my problem it sounds like I'd have to tighten the lower shift rod even more to get it to be in a lower position. I've tried to tighten it and it seems to have run the course of its available threads and can't be tightened anymore...

I'm attaching some photos. When removing the cover and looking at the rods, I would think neutral would give you a view of the shift rod connector in the middle, like in labeled picture attached 'lowerunit_neutral_shiftlever_moreforward' but shift lever is in forward 'lowerunit_neutral_shiftlever_moreforwardview2'

Then when shift lever is nuetral 'lowerunit_barelyreverse_shiftlever_neutralview2' the lower unit is starting to go into reverse and the view of the shift connector isn't in the middle anymore it's more lower 'lowerunit_barelyreverse_shiftlever_neutral'. So I feel like the lower unit shift rod is in the right place...is there an adjustment for the upper?

Attachments

• lowerunit_barelyreverse_shiftlever_neutral.jpg
    lowerunit_barelyreverse_shiftlever_neutral.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • lowerunit_neutral_shiftlever_moreforward.jpg
    lowerunit_neutral_shiftlever_moreforward.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • lowerunit_barelyreverse_shiftlever_neutralview2.jpg
    lowerunit_barelyreverse_shiftlever_neutralview2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • lowerunit_neutral_shiftlever_moreforwardview2.jpg
    lowerunit_neutral_shiftlever_moreforwardview2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 8

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is no adjustment at the connector.-----I think you need to adjust at the top shift lever.-----There are no other adjustments on the 35 HP models

t-osu

Cadet
There is no adjustment at the connector.-----I think you need to adjust at the top shift lever.-----There are no other adjustments on the 35 HP models
OK, I'll look into that. Any advice/instructions/videos on how to do that, or is it easily findable online? I don't have any kind of service manual

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think looking at the parts will help you adjust this.----Simple enuff in my opinion.

t-osu

Cadet
Yeah I took a look at it and I think I got it done! Shifts good by hand and can finally go through all ranges...I'll see how it does in the water...
Thanks everyone