Shift rod length

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys I have a 1984 Evinrude 15 horse e15ecrm, I'm wanting to do a conversion to a short shaft,this o e is a long shaft ,does anybody know what the length of the short shaft lower shift rod should be?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The model # suggests your motor is or was a short shaft.----Is there a 5" spacer between lower unit and exhaust housing ?------You will need a short driveshaft.----Short shift rod would be 5" shorter than the long shift rod.

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah , somebody converted it to a long shaft motor at one point, I've already ordered a standard/short driveshaft,so I need a 5 in shorter shift rod than the one I have now correct? What about the water tube? The one that's on it now has a coupler AKA a hose between the two copper tubes

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They made a 5" coupler for the water tube.----At $50 it sounds like a farmer used a cheaper option.----Might just remove what is there and measure to see if it will reach into the water pump grommet.----You ordered a new short shaft or used ?

doors67us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ordered a used 15 inch standard driveshaft,new one's are prohibitive!!! Crazy $$ I think I'll take your advice and measure to see if what I have will work