Shift rod adjustment

twb123

Recruit
I have a 1975 Evinrude 85hp outboard model# 85593E. I think the shift shaft needs adjustment. Does anyone know what the measurement is for this particular outboard?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did an issue show up suddenly ?----What is your motor doing / not doing?-----Was the lower unit off for water pump work ?-----Is the lower unit full of HI-VIS oil ?

twb123

Recruit
Did an issue show up suddenly ?----What is your motor doing / not doing?-----Was the lower unit off for water pump work ?-----Is the lower unit full of HI-VIS oil ?
No. Nothing like that. I replaced the o-ring seal and measured before I took shaft out, but I wanted to confirm placement with specs for my engine. I can't seem to find that info anywhere online short of buying a service manual that is specific to my motor. I am not a pro at this by any means and I appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The coupler on top of shift rod screws down all the way.-----Then back it off as needed to position it.----Simple.

twb123

Recruit
The coupler on top of shift rod screws down all the way.-----Then back it off as needed to position it.----Simple.
That part I figured out, but isn't there is a measurement to set it before re-installing lower unit? I see different measurements online but none that are specific to my particular model? Thanks again for your help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???----I said to screw the coupler on and back it off as needed.----Seems clear and simple.----I own more than one of those gearcases.----No need for a manual here to work on one either !