Sharpie and magic marker for lettering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marqui

Cadet
Hello All,

I've read a few posts here where folks used Sharpies or Magic maker for the lettering on their sibs. I'm just wondering if the ink or solvents could hurt the PVC? I tried the stick on letters and they lasted for a week. I like the idea of using a sharpie but don't want to damage the boat. There is always rubberized paint but same concern!

All comments welcomed.

P.S. In Canada the registration number stays with the boat. So no worries about having to ever change it.

Marqui.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Sharpie and magic marker for lettering

It doesn't hurt anything and lasts about six months before you have to do it again.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

find a sign supply shop, buy some grip-flex paint. its what they paint vinyl banners, etc. with. however for the price of the paint, your local sign shop can professionally letter your SIB. used to work in a sign shop. did about 4 or 5 inflatables.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

It doesn't hurt anything and lasts about six months before you have to do it again.

I did the numbers on my boat with a permanent marker. Been over year so far and haven't had to redo it. Like most everything else, the durability is related to how much time the letters are exposed to the sun.

Marqui

Cadet

Has anyone used Plasti Dip or similar product for numbering there sib?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I did the numbers on my boat with a permanent marker. Been over year so far and haven't had to redo it. Like most everything else, the durability is related to how much time the letters are exposed to the sun.

And salt and spray and bird crap:)

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Has anyone used Plasti Dip or similar product for numbering there sib?

It comes off like everything else. But...It works as well as anything else in the liquid rubber market.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Yeah, go with the Sharpie. When the liquid rubber fails, it'll flake and crack and you'll have to scrape it off. With the Sharpie you just mark over it again.

noahenholm

Recruit
You can consider Sharpie Extreme permanent markers. The marker performs brilliantly on most plastic items. Allowing the written plastic surface to be exposed to external effects (weather, pressure, etc.) a few seconds after application is never a good idea. I'm very sure the ink hasn't solidified yet, and smearing it with pressure will only make it smear. The first rule in this procedure is to be patient.

Papa-t

Seaman Apprentice
A16305AC-80B0-4165-A792-8033A7E89035.jpeg
I just bought the plastic boat registration plate and put my letters and yearly permit on that. Works well for me. I just use cheep zip ties and cut them off when I’m done.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Say guys, this thread is 10yrs old..... Locked for further replies....

Status
Not open for further replies.