I did a stupid thing today!!!

01 cummins

Seaman Apprentice
I decided to take my boat out today which I just got 3 weeks ago. Its a 21' Four Winns 201 Liberator cuddy cabin. I took my 1 1/2 year old son out today because the wife is working and my other 2 kids are with grammy. I took it out last Sunday only for an hour because my wife had to be into work so I really wanted to get out today.

We were having a good day but I had to get going so I could get home in time to pick my other kids up. I came into dock and there was a guy doing safety checklists. He was checking some people out so I went up to get my truck and brought it back down. I went to pull my boat on the trailer and he was standing there watching me as the wind was blowing me into the dock and the waves were pushing me around from the knuckleheads with wave runners that were only about 150 feet from the launch when they have the whole lake. I missed my mark the first try so I was backed it up as he stood there saying " I've been there before with the wind blowing". I know its not his problem but I hate when people watch and don't offer to help. I'll be the first one to ask if you need a hand if it looks like your having trouble. Any way I got the boat on the trailer the second try and I started to trim the drive up but it started to slide back with the waves coming in, so I jumped out and latched it on still with him watching me.

I got it tight and started to pull my truck out because there were 6 people waiting to launch so I pulled up out of the way. I went to stop to tie it down and I heard something dragging. I hopped out and walked around the back and I seen my drive was still down. I said the usual Flip! and lifted it up. The Skeg is ground down about 2"-3" above the lowest point of the prop blade. I was lucky I didn't damage the brand new prop I just put on that I ordered from here of course. I never heard it grinding even with my windows down because I have a diesel truck with no muffler and it sounds like a big rig.

My question is will it do any damage running it like this? I know its there for protection but will it do any damage like that?

I'm so pissed at myself right now because I did something that dumb. This isn't the first boat I've had and I never did anything like this but I got in a hurry to be courteous to the other people and I hate when people watch me.

Attachments

• boat.JPG
    boat.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 0

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I did a stupid thing today!!!

should be alright. you can file it down and paint it again if you want, or not. our boats growing up had it done, and my boat had it done by the previous owner. if its bent really bad it might pull to one side, but other than that its fine.

Tyme2fish

Commander

It won't do any damage, but as you said, it's not going to give any protection for your prop.

That's about a $150.00 repair around these parts.

It looks like you have enough skeg remaining to maybe consider buying a skegguard and bolting onto your lower unit.

1553021_i-685834.jpg

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, it won't do any damage running it this way, but get it fix when you have a chance, your prop as no protection right now

oops, you guys beat me to it

Marc..

QC

Supreme Mariner

It will not hurt anything to run it like that. I've done the same and you will make other mistakes. Try and stop beating yourself up. You won't do it again ;)

Edit: Gotta move fast around here. BTW, welcome aboard!!

01 cummins

Seaman Apprentice

I looked the skeg guards up on here and it seems like 130 bucks would be worth it.

roadrunnr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is a product called Skeg Guard that is made for your exact problem, and it can probably be purchased right here on iboats. your other options are to do nothing or have it repaired. Repairing it would involve welding a new piece on and grinding it to shape. The lower unit is removed to have this done, and you really can't tell once it's finished.

TilliamWe

Banned

because I have a diesel truck with no muffler and it sounds like a big rig.

Uumm, real big rig trucks have mufflers. Diesels without mufflers mean...

You could run your outdrive with the skeg ground off forever if you want. If you think you'll forget it again, I wouldn't repair it.

Where was your son during all of this?

roadrunnr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow!, 4 replies before I sent mine! shows what a slow typer I am!

01 cummins

Seaman Apprentice

Uumm, real big rig trucks have mufflers. Diesels without mufflers mean...

You could run your outdrive with the skeg ground off forever if you want. If you think you'll forget it again, I wouldn't repair it.

Where was your son during all of this?

I don't think I'll forget it again, I try to learn from my mistakes and I like to make things the way they are supposed to be.

My son was in his car seat in my truck

a70eliminator

Captain

That looks like a clean break, did you look for the missing piece, it could be welded right back on you know.
Is that a Cobra drive painted black like a merc?
I know exacly what you mean about people watching and waiting it can really break you concentration.

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't beat yourself up too bad! I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago...not that bad but bad enough to chip it when I raised it up.

01 cummins

Seaman Apprentice

That looks like a clean break, did you look for the missing piece, it could be welded right back on you know.
Is that a Cobra drive painted black like a merc?
I know exacly what you mean about people watching and waiting it can really break you concentration.

Unfortunatly there was no "clean break" in it, it ground all the way down that far.

I guess when the guy got the bottom paint done he painted the drive to match the bottom.

TilliamWe

Banned

My son was in his car seat in my truck

Whew, because in your original description, I couldn't tell where he was during all of this. I thought maybe you had him working the winch on the trailer or something! :)

01 cummins

Seaman Apprentice

Whew, because in your original description, I couldn't tell where he was during all of this. I thought maybe you had him working the winch on the trailer or something! :)

I was going to have him back the trailer in for me because he is better at it than I am but I decided against it since the guy was there doing safety checks. If I would have had my 4 and 5 year old with me also I could have just sat back and let them load the boat up and tie it down and I wouldn't have done what I did. :D

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

You actually manage to load and unload that boat all by yourself and deal with a 1.5 year old son at the same time. I'm impressed.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You actually manage to load and unload that boat all by yourself and deal with a 1.5 year old son at the same time. I'm impressed.

Me too. I have a 2 year old and haven't tried taking him out with me by myself yet. Seriously considered it yesterday as my wife wasn't home and it was a gorgeous day but I figured the ramps would be crowded and that wouldn't exactly be the ideal time to try it out.

I wouldn't worry too much about the skeg. You still have more skeg than I do! But a skeguard seems like a wise investment if you have a nice prop you want to protect. I have a new prop and I ran a little too far up a shallow creek a few weeks ago and I did bang up the prop a little bit and I guarantee if I'd had more skeg the prop would currently be fine.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yup, lots of fun loading and unloading by yourself with a toddler. One thing I found to be more comfortable with was that I used to have him sit on the seat next to me while backing down the ramp. its not unheard of to lose a truck in the water at the ramp and the last thing I wanted was to be fighting with car seat straps while the truck is going under.

while I was behind the truck winching and unwinching I would put him in the bed of the truck to watch so if anything happened it was just a matter of snatching him out of the back.. and of course life jacket on the whole time.

Now that he's 6 I have him out of the truck with me at my side while loading and unloading. He knows never wander off and never leave my sight while we are on the ramp.

Just some friendly advice.

01 cummins

Seaman Apprentice

Yup, lots of fun loading and unloading by yourself with a toddler. One thing I found to be more comfortable with was that I used to have him sit on the seat next to me while backing down the ramp. its not unheard of to lose a truck in the water at the ramp and the last thing I wanted was to be fighting with car seat straps while the truck is going under.

while I was behind the truck winching and unwinching I would put him in the bed of the truck to watch so if anything happened it was just a matter of snatching him out of the back.. and of course life jacket on the whole time.

Now that he's 6 I have him out of the truck with me at my side while loading and unloading. He knows never wander off and never leave my sight while we are on the ramp.

Just some friendly advice.

I know what you mean and thanks for the advice. I thought about the issues you were talking about already but my youngest is a handful compared to my other two. He doesn't seem to have any fear and if I let him out of my sight he'll jump right in the water. The first time he seen the ocean he went running right into the waves and didn't even care. I always put my parking brake on and chock my back wheel when I'm on the ramp. I work in excavating and drive a trailer almost every day so I try to be as cautious as I can because I know the consequences. I don't plan on taking him by myself too often but it was just so nice and I wanted to play with my new toy and he loved it last week.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm a chrome-hound, and every time I see a skeg guard I want one....just for the look!

My boat being an '89, my wife and I dubbed her "Old School". So, unnecessary chrome additions would seem to be the order of the day.

Plus, I've dragged my skeg around a little myself (once out of water, but a few times in the water on rocks), and I'm still okay. You will be too!