shaft exstetion or long shaft change

dsprey

Recruit
Hello I am new to site.question I have purchased a 1989 osprey that has a 1992 90 hp Johnson .the mortor is to short can I change lower unit to make it longer or shall I install a shaft exstetion .also anyone familiar with these boats

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: shaft exstetion or long shaft change

I don't know about that boat but I do have some experience with extension kits. I assume you have a 20" Long Shaft motor and want to go to a 25" X-Long Shaft motor.

Unless you luck onto a deal on a broke down X-long shaft motor the same as the one you have, it's unlikely it would be economical or worth it to chase down all the parts necessary to do a factory conversion. I would say slim-to-none. There are just too many parts from shifter rods, drive shafts, water pump housings, exhaust housings, and water tubes etc. to find all the right parts unless you find a blown X-long shaft motor with a good lower unit.

I recently converted a '94 Johnson 150 hp from a 20" to a 25" using a "Bay" kit extension. The "Bay" brand extension kits are made for this and I think it is a quality product. It came with all the necessary parts to do the conversion. The only thing I would say is the kit is intended for "professionals" only (that's what it says) and I found the instructions a bit lacking. On a scale of 1-10 I would give the product a 10 but the instructions a 3-4. However, with good mechanical skills you can get there but it takes some figuring to get the pieces right. Like many kits, there are a couple of extra parts and it makes you nervous to leave them out. Internally you are dealing with the drive shaft, water flow, shifting and exhaust so everything has to be right or you could starve the motor for water flow. I bought mine from a place on the internet that also sold aftermarket SEI lower units out of Tennessee I think. The guy was great to deal with but i can't remember the name.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Try this website: baymfg.com/ We have also used some of their products and they work well.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree + 1............