Setting points on 50's-70's Evinrudes with a meter

Kawaiikeno

Seaman
I picked up an Evinrude timing tool and there is no mention of the throttle position while using it.
But since moving the throttle changes the position of the timing mark in relation to the crankshaft How can the statement throttle position doesn't matter when setting points with a meter
Thanks Mike

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
throttle position is not important

no matter where the throttle position is at.......... the points/will always begin to open when the piston reaches TDC .

just follow this video and all will be fine. the high point of the cam lobe will just....open the points at TDC if adjusted per this video

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Throttle position does NOT matter.-----You are timing the MAGNETO to get maximum spark.----The timing of spark relative to TDC is automatic.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Actually, the factory service manual says to have it set to full throttle. It does not matter, except that having it up against full throttle stop helps to hold it from rotating while messing with it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The timing fixture is nothing but a time saving shop tool.-----It is a " dummy flywheel "----If I do not have the timing fixture handy , I lift the flywheel on and off to set the points.

Kawaiikeno

Seaman
Yea I learned something new today. I did a test at different throttle positions and proved myself wrong.
I have always set the points with a feeler gage and then re adjusted after checking with a timing light. I'm looking forward to a day warm enough to fill the test tank and test out a 18hp golden jubilee and a 1960 johnson 5.5 I've finished this week

Kawaiikeno

Seaman
I also picked up a meter to test condensers .
Does anyone know what the spec is for the Evinrude /Johnson condensers used in the 5.5hp - 25hp pre 1975's.
of the used ones I have they test from 2.11 -3.59Uf

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Part number 580321 is .18-.22 mfd.
Part number 580422 is .25-.29 mfd

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
basic VOM style meters with capacitance will give you the capacitance value (if not open or shorted) using an internal meter battery of maybe... 9v

you did not tell us what meter you purchased .

Testing capacitance at 9V will not test the capacitor's tolerance to high voltage kicks.

most caps on magnetoes are .22uf (early 50,s and up )

here are a few articles on the subject ... great reading

Kawaiikeno

Seaman
Thanks for the latest replies I have a good digital volt ohm meter but it doesn't measure capacitance so I picked up a Honeytek A6013L capacitor tester.
I will say I'm not sure it would have caught the only bad condenser I have ever had on an outboard motor which was last year on a condenser that was 1 year old and the cylinder would have good spark for a few seconds before loosing it. the only reason I found it so easily was when I went to remove the timing plate it felt sticky from the leaked wax. Special thanks to Crosbyman for the links

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I notice the Honeytek works on a 9v battery. Unless the meter has a built in voltage booster to reach 275-300 DC which I doubt it would be incapable of testing an outboard capacitor in a simulated mode of operation. it may tell you a uf value or a dead capacitor but it woul be unable to "stress test" a capacitor at 275V DC to detect foil to foil internal leaks .

M.Mohat 's basic test box is easy to build and if you write him a PM or EMAIL he will send you the diagram to assemble one. I have built one myself and it works real nice. The basic model pumps out about 275 volts DC .

The idiot lamp is fool proof. If ON or flickers to much .......the capacitor is bad.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Condensers often test good on the MERC-O-TRONIC magneto analyzer.-----But fail when warmed up.----They are not big $$ and I say install fresh new ones.

Kawaiikeno

Seaman
I am slowly after doing 20 of the old Evinrudes and Johnsons Starting to pick up some of the tools that make life working on these motors easier.
I am finally in possession of both of my dads original motors a 1955 7.5 Evinrude and a 1959 18hp Golden Jubilee.
I think it's time to start weeding out some of the others I have