Service of DP-A Volvo outdrive

lyt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Service of DP-A Volvo outdrive

update,

drive is back together.....

I would equate trying to attach the u-joint to the main shaft while holding the upper unit sideways above the intermediate housing to say.... well..... hell on earth. Anyone else like to share their enjoyment of this activity?

Anyway, got it on and everything works perfectly. going to drop it in the water and see how the water intrusion issue goes. I would hope that it is fixed.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would equate trying to attach the u-joint to the main shaft while holding the upper unit sideways above the intermediate housing to say.... well..... hell on earth. Anyone else like to share their enjoyment of this activity?

I normally put some cardboard over the intermediate housing. While sitting on the back of the lower unit, Lay the upper on it's side on the cardboard and with both hands on the ujoint front yoke line the yoke up as straight as possible and push it in with your chest (or what gets there first) and they slide in fairly easy.
Not a big deal unless the splines are messed up.
Then put the orings on the upper. Thin coat of sealer. Lift the upper and get rid of the cardboard, twist the upper so shaft is down and install it into the intermediate housing and coupler. Turn the prop to line up the splines.
Of course doing that 30+ times a year helps.

GilligansIsland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know what you mean. What I do is remove the bar that the reverse latch attaches to so that the drive can tilt down a little further. This makes it easier to get the upper unit engaged as well as slide it into the spline couple.

wes_d

Cadet

I screw a *short* 3/8-16 eyebolt into the top cover in place of the dipstick, and use that as a "sheave", with a piece of rope, and my swimstep (could use the sternrail too) to make a 2:1 pulley. I can lift and hold the upper unit with one hand, or tie it off, to fiddle the splines together. Helps with removing the upper too, for bellows service. Trick is pushing the vertical coupler down with a screwdriver while lifting the upper unit so they come apart.
Wes