sensors

johnny mav.

Cadet
do I need A sensor in the external oil reservoir or is the sensor in the oil tank in the motor enough It's a mercury optimax 2002 225 hp

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The way the oil reservoirs are supposed to work is that the external reservoir keeps the motor-mounted reservoir full. So in theory the only time the motor mounted reservoir gets low, is when the external reservoir is empty.

So you only need a sensor on the motor-mounted reservoir.

Of course in practice, those pressure valves that force oil from the external reservoir to the motor-mounted reservoir get dirty. It is good practice to check the external reservoir before each outing. I would also carry a quart of 2 cycle oil, to refill the motor-mounted reservoir, just for piece of mind.

johnny mav.

Cadet
The way the oil reservoirs are supposed to work is that the external reservoir keeps the motor-mounted reservoir full. So in theory the only time the motor mounted reservoir gets low, is when the external reservoir is empty.

So you only need a sensor on the motor-mounted reservoir.

Of course in practice, those pressure valves that force oil from the external reservoir to the motor-mounted reservoir get dirty. It is good practice to check the external reservoir before each outing. I would also carry a quart of 2 cycle oil, to refill the motor-mounted reservoir, just for piece of mind.
thanks I always will check the external tanks