Selectrim Motor Rebuild

Darringer

Cadet
I have a 1985 3.8l 800 drive with selectrim. My question is: Can I separate the selectrim motor from the pump while the pump is still mounted and the hydraulic lines still connected? I can physically get to the motor/pump. I need to replace the brushes in the motor.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Selectrim Motor Rebuild

undoing the hydraulic lines is quite simple. Just lower the engine all the way first. I have cleaned mine up before and I just pulled the whole unit out and then separated the motor on the bench.

doral1985

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How readily available are the brushes, How did you make out installing them?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

my brushes were like new. I just generally emery cloth the commutator bars shiny and use a seal pick to carefully tidy up the insulated separations between them.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

I pulled just the motor off of mine without removing any of the hydraulic fittings to rebuild it. I cleaned it all up and and shined up the commutator as Howard described and I put new brushes in as they were about 3/4 gone. Got the brushes from a local alternator/motor shop for about $15. He had some the right size in stock that he matched to what I brought in and I just soldered them on. Pretty easy job, and definitely easier than getting the tilt motor out & in!