Sei Outdrives

DONTGAF

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have any experience dealing with Sterndrive Engineering and their drives? I am looking at picking up the SE106 and thought I would see what everyone else thinks. We inherited a boat from my father and the boat had been neglected. Basically to the point that the existing drive is so corroded it needs to be replaced. The SEI prices seem real good which kinda sends up a flag with me, but most of what I read makes it sound like the way to go. Give me a shout with any experiences you may have, good or bad.

Thanks for your time.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sei Outdrives

Second year for me on a sweetwater pleasure boat, no issues. Follow their break in procedure. Just a little advice. Before you spend the money on the drive, make sure the motor you are hooking it to is usable. free neglected boats are usually very expensive to make seaworthy.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

SEI drives are fine, i've installed a few. As searay says check the motor out. Do a compression test on it. And definitely drill into your transom to make sure it's solid.

thegrizzly1

Cadet

Great luck here with my SE106. I believe I am on my third year with it. They don't seem to have quite as good a paint job as the Mercs IMO but still a great drive for the price. (Seems easier to scratch if not careful during installation.)

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I'm on my second year with a lower half from sei. I wound up repainting it, and it did make some gear whine noise for the first 10-20 hours, but has worked out great so far and is holding up well.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

3 years on a 116 lower and although the paint quality is slighty lower than a genuine merc, it still looks better than my 13 year old upper.