Securing a boat on a trailer during a hurricane

capeman

Recruit
Re: Securing a boat on a trailer during a hurricane

I live on the coast of NC 10 miles from Cape Lookout. Been through it many times before. Never fill your boat with water. If you have a good cover do just the opposite and secure it well on your boat to keep the water out. Even though it's fiberglass the stringers and possibly the transom may soak it in and cause black rot down the road where you can't see it not to mention what it'll do to your wiring and electronics especially with salt rain and wind. I've owned a ton of boats. I have an F-250. Point her to the north east and attach the boat to the truck. Pick you up two moble home anchors and put em' in the ground at angles 6' behind the boat straight off the corners not straight behind the the boat . Screw em' in till nothing is showing but the loop. Ratchet strap the trailer to the anchors and make sure the boat is secure on the trailer. Your dully ain't goin' nowhere and your boat won't either (unless you get a tidal surge and it washes it away).

Cap’n Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Best of luck to everyone on the east coast, hope nobody has any serious damage wherever this storm hits. We get jumpy every time there's a tornado watch out here in the mid west, so we can kinda sympathize. Good luck guys, be safe!!

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

capesman you mean you moved to Morehead City. You have no idea what you are talking about. When you said point " her to the Northeast" you made that point. Go read this http://www.yachtsurvey.com/hurricane_preparation.htm. No one SAID FILL the boat up. But 60 gallons at 8.3 pounds is a lot of weight.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'm going to fill my fish lockers and live well at least; fuel tank is already full.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

Best of luck to everyone on the east coast, hope nobody has any serious damage wherever this storm hits. We get jumpy every time there's a tornado watch out here in the mid west, so we can kinda sympathize. Good luck guys, be safe!!

Same here--I've been in tornadoes and hurricanes--neither are any fun. Hope all are safe.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Everyone I talked to and all that I have read, a lift is the absolutely worst place for a boat in a hurricane. Check out the Boat US site on securing a boat for a hurricane. http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/HurricaneWarning.pdf

Well I took your advice and I got both boats off the lifts and dragged them home. One I literally dragged since the trailer blew a tire as I was pulling the boat up the ramp. It's been a couple of years since I used the trailers, and I guess the tires dry rotted a bit. Fortunately, I live only a few hundred yards from the ramp. I staked down the trailers and tied the anchor lines to trees, then evacuated.
I'm back now and both boats are fine. I'm going to take this opportunity to change the lower unit oil, and some other maintenance. :)

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well I took your advice and I got both boats off the lifts and dragged them home. One I literally dragged since the trailer blew a tire as I was pulling the boat up the ramp. It's been a couple of years since I used the trailers, and I guess the tires dry rotted a bit. Fortunately, I live only a few hundred yards from the ramp. I staked down the trailers and tied the anchor lines to trees, then evacuated.
I'm back now and both boats are fine. I'm going to take this opportunity to change the lower unit oil, and some other maintenance. :)

Sounds like it worked out well, and you will get some maintanance done.

How did everyone in the northeast make out? I know my family in NJ were reporting some downed trees, power outages and lots of damage, but nobody seems to have gotten hurt.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

No problem here; boat did fine on the trailer and other boats in the crowded boat parking lot stayed put. Some people lost their piers and a couple have boats on lifts on piers that they can't get to!

A TAIL OF THREE BOATS: Up on an exposed place on the Eastern Shore seaside, owned by a group, we had three boats on trailers. All were tied to the trailer, to trees, to each other and two had anchors out and dug into the yard. After the storm, I found that the water from the ocean had flooded the area above the trailer level as I had grass on top of my trailer tongue. The 16' jon boat had its plug out but had about half full of water due to a leaf blocking the hole. The floating 19' self bailing boat was fine; did not float off the trailer. My 17' "fish and ski" is not self bailing but I left it plug out; I assume some water came in the plug hole and drained back out. Winds were 40-50 on top of the water. I think that if they hadn't been tied to the trees, and/or if we got a foot more, they easily would have been washed away, trailers attached, and the jon and fishnski would have sunk if they washed out to deep water. If they aren't tied to the trailer, they won't like blow off but float off then land crooked on the trailer.
Oh, and 13' canoe tied to tree moved around but did fine.

How did you fare with the hurricane? I know I'm a little late, but here is an article on protecting your boat from a hurricane: http://www.boattrailertires.com/blog/boating/protect-your-boat-from-a-hurricane/

If we get another one, maybe someone will find it useful.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We didnt even get enough to talk about. Some rain and rough surf is about it. Had some family in NJ that were without power for a day or so, but no boat carnage and no loss of life.