Seazed Steering

CHARGER

Seaman
Hey Guys,<br /> Ive got a old 90HP Chrysler outboard and it is pretty stiff moving left too right with the steering disconnected, it is driveable but I dont like the stress it is putting on my steering cable and pulleys. I have pumped grease into the grease nipples for the pivot shaft and I can get grease too come out the top but wont down the bottom so I am suspecting that the grease on the bottom of the shaft has solidified making it hard too turn. Is there any other way other than pulling the power head off and pulling that shaft out too fix this problem, I have been told you can heat the area up with a oxy torch and melt the grease out and put new stuff in? would this damage anything other than the paint on the outboard?.<br /><br />Cheers

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Seazed Steering

On my 1970 55hp, I took the lower mount and motor leg covers off. Then I could pull the entire engine up and off(after I disconnected fuel, electrical leads and hose) . But you shouldn't have to disconnect that stuff for what you want to do.

CHARGER

Seaman
Re: Seazed Steering

hmmm ive been told to do it properly I need too pull the powerhead off and take the shaft out apparently pulling the powerhead off is the only way too get the shaft out on mine I wouldnt mind doing this but have been told if anything breaks ill have trouble getting parts thats why I want too leave it untouched as much as I can. Anyone no definately if there is a way too get shaft out without pulling power head off?.<br /><br />Cheers for the info scotiany