Sears eska gamefisher reed question

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Model is 217-585932. 7.5 hp gamefisher. How would i find new reeds for it. I may not have to replace them but i want to fine tune it. I rebuilt the carb, it runs fairly good but i am sure it will run better. Thanks everybody.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not much goes wrong with reed valves.-----Other that picking on the carburetor what other trouble shooting was done ?

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Replaced the spark plug, new fuel lines, fresh fuel. It runs ok but sputters a bit on acceleration till top speed is attained then smooths out.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I believe that is a Tecumseh engine and any small engine shop might have reed for it.----If I needed reeds I would likely modify some from any one of many motors that use reed valves.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Have you even looked at them? Im with Racerone. I have flipped them over before.

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you even looked at them? Im with Racerone. I have flipped them over before.
I have looked at them. Admittedly i don't fully understand the 2 stroke engine process or what the reeds purpose is but they are not broken or damaged. I just don't know if they will wear out over time.

There should be a metal tag on the engine with the Tecumseh/Power Products model and spec numbers, see if you can find the tag, I still have parts books on these engines, chances are good that your carb is still at fault, but being an older engine, crank seals and leaking reed manifold gasket, and or, transfer port cover gaskets, and even the mag plate gasket can cause the same symptoms.

Last edited:

Samu_el

Cadet
Not sure what your reed valves look like but on my 1980 Chrysler Sea King 15 there were little metal flaps on the fuel pump diaphragm on top of holes. Slightly different animals but still related. The holes should be completely covered by the reeds and the reeds should be flat not warped. And about that hesitation and lag on some light throttle and acceleration, mine engine does that too until I start to plane and it settles out. If your engine idles good and goes full throttle alright then I’d say leave it. You can also purchase a heat laser gun to monitor operating temperatures at the head.