Searayder F16 175hp, starting problem

Lokithecat

Cadet
Me n my girlfriend decided to buy a jetboat 2 weeks ago. 97 Searayder F16 ($2,600).

We spent 2 hours going over this boat, including engine commpession test. It all seem fine.

Fast forward 2 weeks, we both finally get a day off from work. We're all pumped up to take it out for the first time .

We get it in the water, and then it's a no crank. Like dead battery. Drag it out the water

Take it to a friends house 2 miles down.

He put his battery in, and it starts. We did find a loose wire. That we fixed. So we decided to put our original battery back in.

Started right up. Drove back to boat ramp.

This time- we decided to test it before dropping in the water. No start again . We took off, and headed to the movies. Had to enjoy the evening off someway.

Before I dump $80 on a new battery, only to experience another ruined day off. Is there any other thing I should look for??

Are these boats prone for constant break downs?
​​

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Very reliable motor if maintained... The loose wire makes me question the maintenance. Was the engine ever running without a battery? That will absolutely fry some very expensive electronic parts. (did you swap batteries while it was running?)

So on the second time, did it crank over or not? Lots of different things based on that answer.

Also, the jet 175's were temperamental to start, I did a mod years ago and a writeup for it that allows you to use the key-push-in (choke) as an electrical primer button. Makes a HUGE difference in starting, otherwise you just end up cranking the starter to get fuel pumped into it. Google for 'sportjet 175 primer' and find the pdf. (not mine, my original directions have been cleaned up over the years)

Last edited:

Lokithecat

Cadet
We swapped the batteries when it was not running. The wire that was loose/corroded was a small wire attached to the positive post of the battery. I will google it, thank you.