SeaNymph parts? Need Bow “nosepiece”

IMG_0202.jpegIMG_0203.jpegNew to the forums. Any info much appreciated.
So, I broke the “nosepiece” on the bow of my 12 foot aluminum SeaNymph model R-12-B. See photo.

This was my grandfather’s boat from the 70’s. I grew up in this boat spending every summer at my grandparents.
I rescued it from being sunk in the lake, rehabbed it - cleaned, acid washed, polished it back to glory. Added a white oak transom - really fixed it up nicely.

I am kicking myself for breaking this. I knew better. And due to the grainy nature of the cast aluminum, I am told it will not weld easily/well.
If there is any lead on a replacement piece, please let me know.
Thanks in advance!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Take the boat to a good welder. Hint, most radiator shops weld aluminum cheap

airshot

Rear Admiral
Remove the old one, glue it back together and make a sand cast mold and have a foundry pour a new one. Unlikely you will find another.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any great Aluminum Welding Person can reweld it back perfectly. Have seen much worse made perfect. 👍

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Looks to be cast aluminum or "white"(pot) metal.
Good luck welding either

briangcc

Commander
Got any Live Steamer groups in your area? These are the small trains you can ride on. The group near me has their own forge to cast train parts so I wager a group like that may be able to help you if you can provide a master to work with.

Just a thought.

matt167

Captain
I don’t think that can be welded. I would use an aluminum powdered epoxy like a quick steel for aluminum. Sand it down. And paint it with a cast type paint

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That damage looks like a front tiedown hand crank was too tight. No tiedown plate near the waterline ?