Sealant or no Sealant?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I have been ill for a while, but I am now ready to complete my project boat. I am installing my antifreeze cooled exhaust manifolds and saltwater cooled risers (Chevy v8). Motors only have saltwater passing thru heat exchanger and risers. My Exhaust manifolds are open style so I have to install a SS plate sandwiched between 2 Serria closed gaskets, riser/manifolds. I contacted Sierra for advice on their products, but they would not provide instructions. Go figure... Do I install gaskets dry or add sealant. Any advice will be appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use mercruiser gaskets vs the sierra green leakers

no sealant needed.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have been ill for a while, but I am now ready to complete my project boat. I am installing my antifreeze cooled exhaust manifolds and saltwater cooled risers (Chevy v8). Motors only have saltwater passing thru heat exchanger and risers. My Exhaust manifolds are open style so I have to install a SS plate sandwiched between 2 Serria closed gaskets, riser/manifolds. I contacted Sierra for advice on their products, but they would not provide instructions. Go figure... Do I install gaskets dry or add sealant. Any advice will be appreciated.
Dry gaskets are recommended for the simple reason that when sealant is applied ,it is usually over applied and when tightening down it will squeeze into the passageways and cause restrictions.This is why manufacturers recommend dry.I use aerosol Hi-tack which will get you the seal you want and you can't over apply.Charlie