Sealant for rivets inside aluminum jon boat

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thought I’d start a different thread for this question for the aluminum gurus.
I’m taking the floor of my 1983 Monark down to bare aluminum.
What should I use to seal around the rivets before priming and painting? The boat hasn’t leaked but I figured it would be a good idea while I’m at it.
Any wisdom shared is always appreciated.

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
gluvit

For more info, post question in the STARCRAFT forum.
Lots of guys there rebuilding their old starcraft aluminum boats.

Thank you sir. I appreciate it.
I screwed up when I first started and used the wrong wire brush instead of stainless steel. Is there anyway I can fix it?

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
On my old riveted aluminum canoe I always just wire brushed the rivet and area around it and added a small blob of 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive….stays on very well, doesn’t crack….it’s a 1983 canoe and never had a leak so far…

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I was thinking of 5200 but I read that it doesn’t adhere good to bare aluminum.
I used it on a 25ft Chrysler Lonestar that I once had.It stuck to it extremely well.Clean the rivet and surrounding area with sandpaper and wipe with acetone and the 5200 will be permanent.If it starts to run or sag you can put a circle of clay around it till it cures and it does take a while to cure.The quick curing variety is not as good but may be a good choice if you ever want to remove it.Charlie

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used it on a 25ft Chrysler Lonestar that I once had.It stuck to it extremely well.Clean the rivet and surrounding area with sandpaper and wipe with acetone and the 5200 will be permanent.If it starts to run or sag you can put a circle of clay around it till it cures and it does take a while to cure.The quick curing variety is not as good but may be a good choice if you ever want to remove it.Charlie
I went back and read it again. The guy was talking about aluminum that had oxidation. He said it happens just minutes after you clean it then later the oxidation separates from the aluminum taking the 5200 with it.
He must not have applied it like you do.
Looks like I’m back on the 5200 wagon.