seal kits available

stealthdrummer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Are seal kits available for a 1978 Merc dual ram power trim setup?
DSC01954.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: seal kits available

They used to be avail. Check Dougrussell.com or crowleymarine.com. If unavailable, call a dealer and see if he has one under a ton of dust on his shelf.

BTW- the teflon piston seal requires a special tool to install the piston back into the cylinder liner. The balance of the Orings are easy to install. What part is leaking?

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you can't find seals try your local hydraulic repair shop as they may have parts that fit.Rebuilding mine at the moment and got lucky on EBay for my kits.Good Luck.

stealthdrummer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They used to be avail. Check Dougrussell.com or crowleymarine.com. If unavailable, call a dealer and see if he has one under a ton of dust on his shelf.

BTW- the teflon piston seal requires a special tool to install the piston back into the cylinder liner. The balance of the Orings are easy to install. What part is leaking?

nothing is leaking that I can see. The system is acting like it has a ton of air in it. pump runs for several seconds(5 to 10) before it will go up or down. It might be the pump itself but I'm not sure how to test it.

stealthdrummer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Something I discovered today. The motor will drop (loose trim) the first time it is trimed down from the trailer position. If you trim it back up it seems to stay. I had my son (about 180lbs) stand on the back of the motor for a few seconds and the trim position held. It even moved him up and down a bit. Keep in mind it still took several seconds for the motor to move. After moving up and down a few times it moves as soon as you press the button. However, if it sits for a minute the pump will have to "spool up" again.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Have you bled the trim rams? If not, this is the time. The resevoir is self bleeding. You just need to keep it full. The trim rams each have two bleed screws, that need to be opened in the proper position and the air let out.

stealthdrummer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you bled the trim rams? If not, this is the time. The resevoir is self bleeding. You just need to keep it full. The trim rams each have two bleed screws, that need to be opened in the proper position and the air let out.

What are the correct positions? Are there specific steps to do it in?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

To bleed the trim rams. Open one down bleed screw. it is located next to the grease fitting on the top of the trim cylinder. Run the trim motor in the down direction until all the air has bubbled out. Oil will spray everywhere. Install screw and repeat with other down bleed screw.

Up bleed screws are located on the trim cylinder next to where the hoses connect. Remove trim cylinder from motor (hoses connected) and face hose connections up. I stick the upper bolt back in and it holds the cylinder in the proper position. Remove up bleed screw and run PTT pump in up direction until all air is out. Reinstall screw and repeat with other cylinder. Refill resevoir

stealthdrummer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Chris,
There are no bleed screws on the rams. the hoses run from the transom to the top of a block. Out of the bottom of the block are 4 hard lines, 2 to each ram. The pump has what I am guessing is a bleed screw and a fill screw. My son and I ran the rams up and down several times and got the pump full of fluid but still have issues. When we trimmed the motor all the way up you could push the motor down several inches by hand. If you loosened the top screw on the pump air would bleed off. Run the rams back up and you couldn't push the motor down. However, if we ran the rams full down and back up you could push the motor down again. Not sure if the rams or pump is bad. What do you think. here is the block.
DSC01970.jpg

here are the screws on the pump.
bottom
DSC01973.jpg

DSC01977.jpg

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

That yellow bleed screw needs to remain open when using the pump.Make sure that it is not screwed down tight because that is what allows the reservoir to breathe while air displaces fluid in operation.I am not saying that this is your problem but you don't appear to have any documentation on it.There are .PDF files for free on the net that explains it all.Ron G

stealthdrummer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Ron. You are correct, I have ZERO documentation and trying to figure it out as I go. Do you happen to have a link to the PDF? Thanks

stealthdrummer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Found a PDF doc on the pump. Some good news. I left the motor trimed up a bit over night to see what happened and it is still up this morning. That is an improvement over what it was doing.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Sorry but seals kits are NLA for those cylinders but a good hydraulic shop can repair them if needed. At least motor still has the hollow mounting bolts!!! The vent screw needs to stay oprn on pump and make sure the reverse lock valve solenoid is working. If everything checks ok your problem is likely the manifold on bottom of pump.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I was unabel to see the picture, so I am working blind...

Crowleymarine.com shows instock seal kits for a 1978 merc 115, will ship immediately, for $51.47.

The exploded parts diaghrams also shows bleed screws. What HP motor do you have? Are you sure it is 1978? The PDF from Thumb is for a Mercruiser PTT sytem.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, The Crowley site shows a repair kit for the tilt cylinder for $49.50 with immediate shipping. It also shows an $85 Oring kit (#16), which should seal most of the rest of the PTT unit.

BTW - That PTT unit should be self bleeding. Trim (manually helo it to trim if necessary) it up, lock it up and wait a few minutes for the air to bubble out of resevoir. Now refill and run it down and up. Repeat as is necessary.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was unabel to see the picture, so I am working blind...

Crowleymarine.com shows instock seal kits for a 1978 merc 115, will ship immediately, for $51.47.

The exploded parts diaghrams also shows bleed screws. What HP motor do you have? Are you sure it is 1978? The PDF from Thumb is for a Mercruiser PTT sytem.

Sorry about that bogus link.I was looking for info on my pump when I found it and comparing that info to what I saw in my FSM which had all the cylinders in it of course and my mind just melded it all together when I thought about the .pdf file.
I had two pumps and was trying to make one good one.One of them had two solenoids on it and I needed only one so had to work that out.Ron G